1984 monte carlo track car project

Status
Not open for further replies.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Dugan said:
Yea 1/4 mile car lookin at low 12s high 11s. Only bad part is the rusted floor so far

Oh. Drag racing. At first when you said "track car" I thought you meant "dirt track car" and that put me off a little. Especially since this Monte's body is still so straight. I feel a lot better about this thread now. :lol:

Dugan

Greasemonkey
Jun 15, 2011
307 Regal said:
Dugan said:
Yea 1/4 mile car lookin at low 12s high 11s. Only bad part is the rusted floor so far

Oh. Drag racing. At first when you said "track car" I thought you meant "dirt track car" and that put me off a little. Especially since this Monte's body is still so straight. I feel a lot better about this thread now. :lol:
I believe its straight haha nothing is crooked or bad except one time looked to stick out farther on one side. But with the 9" looks better prob just my eyes. Any special places I should brace/support. I'm boxing the control arms

Crazcnuk

Apprentice
Aug 26, 2011
Hinton, AB
Box the control arms, and build subframe connectors. You should also move the 'eyes' on the top of diff, where the upper control arms connect, up a couple of inches. There is formula, your local chassis shop will know.

You'll have to change gears, too. I don't think you want to run 36" tall tires!

28 spline should be fine for the times you are looking for. I run 31 spline, but I am using the factory axles, too. (shortened)

I would also go all poly-graphite for the bushings, in fact, I did!

Dugan

Greasemonkey
Jun 15, 2011
Crazcnuk said:
Box the control arms, and build subframe connectors. You should also move the 'eyes' on the top of diff, where the upper control arms connect, up a couple of inches. There is formula, your local chassis shop will know.

28 spline should be fine for the times you are looking for. I run 31 spline, but I am using the factory axles, too. (shortened)

488s gonna be too steep? Haha I have another center chunk with a factory posi and 4.11 if need be its strictly track gonna be trailered

Crazcnuk

Apprentice
Aug 26, 2011
Hinton, AB
Dugan said:
Crazcnuk said:

488s gonna be too steep? Haha I have another center chunk with a factory posi and 4.11 if need be its strictly track gonna be trailered

4.11 is fine, just need to run 28" tall (or so) tire. I run 3.70s with 26x10.5"" slicks.

Our '68 Nova SS runs 4.56 with 32" x 15" slicks.

We've been running 32"x16" on the '27 roadster, with 4.56s.

Not sure what you would wan to use with the 4.88s probably 34"?

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
"build subframe connectors." ???????

It's a full frame car, what do you mean?

Crazcnuk

Apprentice
Aug 26, 2011
Hinton, AB
shotgun said:
"build subframe connectors." ???????

It's a full frame car, what do you mean?

Actually, it isn't a full-frame car, it has pseudo full-frame.

If you look underneath you will see that there is a front and rear subframe connected by a partial frame in the center. You can either fabricate or buy connectors that bolt through the front and rear frames and stitch weld to the 'psuedo' center section of the frame.

If your running in the 10's you should know this...

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
Nope, it is considered a full frame car.

You may be getting confused since the center section of the frame is not boxed.

Even early A-bodys ( GTO. Chevelle , etc.) weren't boxed unless you order a HD frame or had a convertible.

The frame on the Cutlass below is a stock frame. It does have a roll bar.

Check some of my posts , look under F41 , I know abit about these cars. :wink:

Dugan

Greasemonkey
Jun 15, 2011
What width slicks will fit inside the wheel wells and also not rub frame. Would 10.5s work? Ended up with wrong rims so I can't test mine

Also saw your post shotgun
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8126

are the rad x, under the hood x and jounce/gp bars necessary

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor