1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2013
Québec City, Québec CANADA
so all the last "details" are more or less resolved... so the car will go hoodless in the driveway and do its 15 minutes @ 2300 rpm for the engine break-in.

20230910_161117.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2013
bummers. today, the car does NOT idle properly after it ran supah-dupah-fine Sunday, two days ago.

- open the throttle, runs better but rough.
- put some starting fluid, throttle at idle position,it runs perfect
- play with the choke, does not do any difference
- disconnect the mixture solenoid, still runs like sh*t

so, my analysis so far:

- maybe the fuel pump died?
- maybe dirt in the carb, clogged, runs at 50%?
-maybe a fuel line died and lets air in?

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 user

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2013
The verdict is - the car is not driveable, so the carburator will go for a full overhaul - lucky to know someone in the area who is knoweldgeable in these old carburators... this is a 40-year old carb after all.

meanwhile, cleaned the underside of the hood (will "paint it black") and was vain with the license plate... ;)

20230917_145919.jpg
20230917_153637.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2013
The carburator re-builder said NO and was in a hurry to hang up when I mentioned my carburator is a E4ME Quadrajet... 🫠

He said he done it in the past, but... it feels the guy still has PTSD from it!

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The carburator re-builder said NO and was in a hurry to hang up when I mentioned my carburator is a E4ME Quadrajet... 🫠

He said he done it in the past, but... it feels the guy still has PTSD from it!
Yeah, specialized tools and knowledge to set up those carbs. Only a few of the Quadrajet builders do them.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2013
Since this is a CCC carburator, it should not have anything special - no special port for the PEVR, etc. The tuning must be turbo-specific of course, but the magic is in the ECM and the special MAP sensor that can read vacuum and boost. I may be wrong and missing something, however - and you are right, I'd be worried to ship it and then never see the same carb again and then find out the "rebuilt" carb just cannot work fine with a turbo.

• Agree

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2013
First time ever I will own a car having a clean hood underside.

20230923_134225.jpg

Ordered a few carburator parts (TPS, M/C solenoid, various tools) and will tackle a round of adjustment myself. There's a guy who does really precise videos on how to rebuild CCC quadrajets -

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2013
20230924_105756.jpg

It fits, but the clearance (between the hood and the carburator bonet) is millimetric...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor