1985 grand national

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Time for a turbo Series 2!!!!(y)

Doesn't he already have the Chinese Ebay Turbo Kit for it? Your brilliant plan just might work.

If not, nothing a very large hammer can't fix.

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
i dont want to loose the originality of it being all stock so if i go inteercooled its gonna loose value cause its not original if i go ls swap again it looses originality so i might just go ahead and sell it and keep my 84 ls swapped regal
I wouldn't worry about the originality of a hot air car.......they really aren't all that desireable. Going to the 86-87 intercooler setup or turbo ls swap would only increase its value. Actually, the 84-85 cars make perfect ls swap candidates (FI tank, sender and lines.....8.5 rear.....etc.)

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Emmanuel cuellar

G-Body Guru
Aug 8, 2017
I wouldn't worry about the originality of a hot air car.......they really aren't all that desireable. Going to the 86-87 intercooler setup or turbo ls swap would only increase its value. Actually, the 84-85 cars make perfect ls swap candidates (FI tank, sender and lines.....8.5 rear.....etc.)
i can not lie i have thought of doing an engine swap but if it comes to that i might as well sell it :( i know its something i would probally regret so im stuck like chuck :)

Emmanuel cuellar

G-Body Guru
Aug 8, 2017
After all of your frustration with the stock drive train......
After all of your frustration with the stock drive train.......how could you possibly regret an ls swap?
to be honest and im not trying to be a know it all just from personal experience i rather keep it stock so when the day comes and i want to sell it i wont be knee deep in it and not get back all the money i put into it. thats what makes it unique even compared to a 86 or 87 once ls swap i might as well be as good as a regular regal with an ls. i just gotta find a good hot air mechanic cuz everyone ive tried is boo boo. if not i will just sell it. its a tough situation. gives me a head ache thinking about it or trying to explain lol

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
My 2¢ worth...If you're concerned about "originality" but at the same time making it more desirable, I'd do the intercooled setup on it. I think you should be able to retain the block & heads. AFAIK the engines were the same internally. Plus, there's a lot more parts availability for the intercooled models than the "hot air" models. Everything else on the car looks pretty clean.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
My 2¢ worth...If you're concerned about "originality" but at the same time making it more desirable, I'd do the intercooled setup on it. I think you should be able to retain the block & heads. AFAIK the engines were the same internally. Plus, there's a lot more parts availability for the intercooled models than the "hot air" models. Everything else on the car looks pretty clean.

There is a whole lot that is different. You basically have to buy a complete 86/87 motor and the part that is the same is the part that is currently bad.

A stock bottom end rebuild on a Buick V6 should cost less than $2000. Slap it back in there and sell it for $8500 ($4000 more than the current value) or keep it and drive it for 20K miles, then sell it for $8500.

I've said it once I've said it a million times, there aren't enough idiots in the world for a stock, driver quality '85 GN to be worth $12K.. an LS1 or 86/87 converted one, sure. Stock, not gonna happen. If they ever do sell for $12K, definitely unload it. Mainly because the world has become overpopulated with idiots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor