1985 Grand Prix concept car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
pontiacgp said:
if it is a prototype and was used for testing and it comes without a title then why does it have over 15 thousand miles...the main reason they put a long window in the back was to stop the rear of the car getting lifted from the vacuum that was created by the flat back window, which in turn slowed the car down. Even the rear spoiler on the nascar body didn't help that problem so I don't see how that low rear spoiler had any effect on the problem they had..plus with the suspension on that car I don't know what testing they actually did with it sitting so high..

As mentioned, the explaination of the mileage is simple if it was a GM test car as claimed. The suspension on that car appears to be stock ride height for any G-body.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
Thinking about it more and more, since GM had financial troubles, they started liquidating their private collection of vehicles. I do remember they ended up selling an LS6 S10 at Barrett Jackson. I'm sure that one call to the GM History offices with the VIN will get the story on that car.

01GPGT

Apprentice
Jul 16, 2008
being a 2+2 you would think it would have the F41 suspention package but it's missing he cross braces in the trunk where the rear seat backs are.

car just seems off :?

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
01GPGT said:
being a 2+2 you would think it would have the F41 suspention package but it's missing he cross braces in the trunk where the rear seat backs are.

car just seems off :?

The rear seat braces aren't part of the F41 suspension package if that's what you mean? ....and they are there (I've actually never seen a GP without them):

!CF(j+3QCGk~$(KGrHqIOKpUE0UZfYNU9BNU1VqIHrg~~_12.JPG

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
You are correct 85_SS. Here's the inside of my 83 GP.

normal_Pratsyuyemo_Nad_Avtom_016.jpg

Andry

JRG53

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2011
Petal, MS
Says on the auction that the reserve is not met. So he probably wants $20k-$25k. It's a sweet looking ride, but there is nothing all that special about it; nothing out of the ordinary. The nose is from another car, same with the spoiler. Nothing that really screams concept car.

BadDad5

n00b
Jun 28, 2010
Sorry gang.That was me a long time ago who asked. Been busy and life got a bit crazy.

Believe me,it's taken a hell of alot to research these cars. I made lot's of pestering phone calls and even asking people thru various/other forums who have been in the museum (it's not open to the public) about them. This is exactly the color combo and look of what I wanted to make for my project. Which is also why it got me started doing a bit of research on it.
See my post on "86 Brass Hat" elsewhere in the forum.
This is indeed one of the 2+2 concepts that were created as "style concept exercises" and given to a few select Pontiac upper management to drive. These were known as "Brass Hat" cars of course. Very little paperwork accompany these cars. You hit it right on the head about the VIN#...totally for company use. Kinda like Fords Exec program in the 70's which included one offs, show cars, custom painted cars for execs and of course movie and special use vehicles. All were returned to GM after use.
Three were created. One black one, and two maroon and grey (that copied the burgundy Monte SS at the time).
The "whale tail" is not that of a porsche 911 or any other car for that matter, but instead Formula Firebird spoiler glassed and fitted for the GP. Rumour has it the Petty family had more input on these cars that the areocoupe.When the car first came to be, it rode on the standard 2+2 wheel. The ZQ8 wheels were added later as it was procured to the museum. Don't know who decided it though. Here's a pic of the black one at the Talladega museum way on back.

More reading here.....

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... ture8.html

Attachments

• talladega87grandprixonlyblk.jpg
    talladega87grandprixonlyblk.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 3,425

Brick442

Master Mechanic
Apr 16, 2009
Jersey Shore
what's the story with the engine? looks like a stock 305, except for those headers. Are those some type of GM prototype, or are they aftermarket?

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
It's way too much. They call it a concept... but what is it. A stock gp with some wheels and one or two body mods. It isn't even radical, it's just stock. And the engine maybe makes 190hp. so there's 2 or 3 made? still doesn't justify the 18000$ starting tag.

Seems way overpriced for a prototype to me. It isn't even a concept, I doubt there was a huge project and managment on this thing. They just threw some neat parts on it from the bin, painted it, ran a few drag races for fun and gave it to the execs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor