1986 2+2 differences

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyliver

Apprentice
Aug 15, 2011
Ontario Canada
I just googled info, the vin won't tell you anything. There is a RPO code on the trunklid that will give it away, RPO Y97. Hopefully this one won't be painted over.

Likely won't be going to look at it until next week as my car trailer is covered with used shingles from my roof right now...

ElCaminoGRAN/SPORT

Master Mechanic
Apr 13, 2011
S.carolina
crazyliver said:
If it was a clone, where would the parts come from? The chance that someone spent big bucks buying the lauren parts and then leaving the car in this shape is unlikely.
x2 why is every one still speakin of clone who would clone a 2+2 and how and then let it sit for 6+ years,on a nother note if you dont buy pass yhe deal on too another member here i would pull the body and find another g-body frame to drop it on...

crazyliver

Apprentice
Aug 15, 2011
Ontario Canada
Just talked to the guy, he says the car is complete but it is missing the drivers side lower grill. Probably going to be murder trying to find one of those! If you look closely in the pics I attached you can see it is missing.

jmt455

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
SE Michigan
You can get the vehicle history for almost any Pontiac by ordering an information packet from Pontiac Historic Services (PHS). You provide the VIN and $65 and you will receive all the details about how that car was originally equipped, where and when it was built, what dealership it was delivered to (from the factory) and a complete list of all the original options, drive train and equipment that came on the car. This includes colors, trim combinations and even key codes.

The package also includes the AAMA (American Automobile Manufacturer's Association) specifications for your car model and (usually) a Pontiac ad photo.

PHS has all of Pontiac's original production records. If your VIN doesn't come up in a "Compnine" search and the original documentation is not available, I know of no other way to get this information about a Pontiac.

I have used PHS many times over the years; they are quick and accurate. If you plan to restore or buy any rare or valuable Pontiac, it's well worth the money.

PHS website: http://www.phs-online.com/

jasonreid

Greasemonkey
May 27, 2011
Rockmart, Georgia
G-Body_Vet said:
Is there a way to tell if it's a true 2+2 by looking at the VIN? As with any low production car, I really just hate to see them get parted, dismantled, junked, etc. It's a shame that the car is that far gone though. If you get it try to save what you can I suppose.

I don't think you can but then again I haven't done that much research. Based on what I have read so far, the 2+2 was mearly a stock GP with the modifications made. The 86 VIN card does not list 2+2. Hopefully JMT455 is right and that PHS will have a record.

jasonreid

Greasemonkey
May 27, 2011
Rockmart, Georgia
crazyliver said:
Just talked to the guy, he says the car is complete but it is missing the drivers side lower grill. Probably going to be murder trying to find one of those! If you look closely in the pics I attached you can see it is missing.

laureneng.com is your friend! They sell all the replica parts and they can even be used to replace missing parts.

crazyliver

Apprentice
Aug 15, 2011
Ontario Canada
Well I picked it up last night. It has been sitting in its spot since 2003. Paint is pretty bad and flaking revealing the silver underneath, but surprisingly the interior is in decent shape. It has NO brakes, so I will want to at least get something working so I can move it around. Body is shot, it would take a lot of work to get this one back into shape. Trunk lock is siezed so I will have to see if I can get that working, who knows whats in it?

Never even popped the hood on it, had a 2 week old baby screaming and a cranky mother, so I loaded it up on the trailer and went.

Will post some pics in a few days once it is off the trailer. Hopefully I can get it running so I can put it in the barn.

Came with a set of rear frame rails from a southern car too. Got it for $600 Canadian.

Likethat

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 27, 2011
600 you didn't get hurt. There was one here with over a 100,000miles and they still wanted 7000us

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Crazyliver, what part of Ontario are you in? You are looking at the car on Kijiji near Kitchener, right? I have a 2+2 that I've been trying to sell without any luck (no, its not as cheap as $800). Any of the genuine 2+2s that I've seen usually have a vinyl pouch on the inside of the trunk lid, with a clear window in it, that has the SPID (Service Parts ID) label in it, and yes, the magic RPO code that you're looking for is Y97, which is the code for the 2+2 option from GM. I spoke to a gentleman in Toronto at a cruise night several years ago, and he told me that there is a number that is stamped or engraved on the bottom side of the trunk lid just above the license plate that shows the number of the car. He claimed that since there were only 1,225 2+2s built, that the cars were numbered by GM when they were built. I'm not sure if there is any truth in this, as the 2+2 that I have has no trace of a number in that area, but the trunk lid of my car may have had bodywork at some point. according to everything that I've been able to find out, aside from a couple of special executive cars built by GM, all 2+2s had the same paint scheme (silver over gray, with the orange & red stripes & graphics), and were mostly loaded with all the factory options from GM. There is a good article on the 2+2 in the March 2007 issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines magazine. The 2+2 shown in that article is painted black from the back of the door, to behind the rear quarter glass. If you have any questions, or I can pass along any info, let me know.

crazyliver

Apprentice
Aug 15, 2011
Ontario Canada
I live outside Hanover. The car came from Grand Valley, and is still listed on kitchener kijiji. (guy never took it down) There is no service parts ID on the trunklid. I did not see any markings on the inside of the trunklid, but it is all painted white. I believe I have an open trunk pic in the picture section.

I ran the VIN on a decoder on the net and it said it was a 2+2. the silver paint is visible underneath all the flaking white paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor