1986 2+2 differences

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyliver

Apprentice
Aug 15, 2011
Ontario Canada
Hi all, new member here. I have a chance to buy a 1986 2+2, the car is all white so it has obviously been worked over. I noticed that there is no black panel around the 1/4 window. I looked on google, and I see that some of the cars have it, some don't. I have read that these cars were no option cars, so what gives? Does anyone know? I tried searching but couldn't find anything.

Here is one with no black around the 1/4 glass

TG%2086%202+2.jpg

OUFSQ57FP26Q2LNPEA.jpg

86grandprix01.jpg

Here is one with the black around the 1/4 glass

32214050295_large.jpg

501347022_1_B.jpg

Here is the car I am looking at

09411497563963847691.jpeg

08558272570988743843.jpeg

86 maroon gp 2+2

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2010
Oxford, MI
I'd take a look at the interior differences to, some 2+2's came with the ash tray attached to the back of the seat and some did not. If you also look at the seat trim some of its missing on some more than others but thats just what I've noticed to. Goodluck on the white 2+2 she looks like a great start make sure to make a build thread for it when you finally get it!

crazyliver

Apprentice
Aug 15, 2011
Ontario Canada
This might sound bad to some people, but if I buy this white one, I would rip it apart. I have an 84 that was my first car, and I would fix that one. Thinking of stealing a few 2+2 parts off it and then junk the rest.

Here is a better picture of the black around the 1/4 window. I wonder if it is just paint?

39067884001_large.jpg

86 maroon gp 2+2

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2010
Oxford, MI
your idea is whatever should make you happy, I think it may be a good idea if your 84 is not as bad as the 2+2 but don't junk any 2+2 parts! They are worth good money and someone on here may be looking for them if you don't use them, I've never seen a black outlined window before on any 2+2's so I couldn't help you but it does look like paint :twisted:

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Are you 100% sure its a 2+2 or could it be a clone? If its a clone I would try and get it for cheap and then use the parts to fix yours. If its a real one why not try and get it for a good deal, do some minor work and flip it? They are only getting more rare and in a few years you might be kicking your own *ss for chopping it up.

crazyliver

Apprentice
Aug 15, 2011
Ontario Canada
I have no idea if it is a real one. I imagine I can check the paint inside the hood/trunk to see if it was silver at some point. The guy only wants $800 for it, and I will likely only pay $500 or so. It has been sitting in that spot for 6 years, so it is likely rotten pretty bad from all the grass underneath it. He said it needed framerails 6 years ago, and he bought some (they are in the trunk) so I imagine the rust is fairly far along.

Can you check anything with the VIN to see if it is a real 2+2?

crazyliver

Apprentice
Aug 15, 2011
Ontario Canada
If it was a clone, where would the parts come from? The chance that someone spent big bucks buying the lauren parts and then leaving the car in this shape is unlikely.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Is there a way to tell if it's a true 2+2 by looking at the VIN? As with any low production car, I really just hate to see them get parted, dismantled, junked, etc. It's a shame that the car is that far gone though. If you get it try to save what you can I suppose.

Dragonist

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2010
Dallas, Tx
why not run the vin through a pontiac vin decoder...should have one for pontiacs...they have them for oldsmobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor