1986 442 project (street and strip)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfurches

Apprentice
Aug 1, 2011
Hey guys...

I figured that instead of having a bunch of micro-posts, I would just compile the info on my build right here. Something easy to navigate and hopefully helpful to others.

Moving on....as some of you may or may have not seen, I recently trade my 1998 s10 for a real 1986 Oldsmobile 442. I wasn't really looking for one, but someone responded to my craigslist add for the truck, and after seeing the car and all the parts included I couldn't pass it up!

This is a real 442 t-top car with 84,6xx miles I am the third owner, and the vehicle has been relatively local its whole life. The previous owner paid some trade school students to do some body work and put the car in sealer....needless to say it is far from perfect, but I suppose you get what you pay for. Regardless, it is still presentable, and gives me something to work with while I acquire some new body repair panels to fix the car the right way. The frame is solid including the rear rails, there are no holes or patches, it appears any rust was confined to the rear quarters.

8b5b34c2.jpg

91269d6b.jpg

e5c35d7d.jpg

On an interesting side note, my family used to operate the local Oldsmobile dealer before I was born (Fenton Olds closed down in the early 80's I believe). My grandfather is still in business today selling used cars at a small lot in town, and he happened to still have some of the "new car" dealer stickers. I grabbed a few, slapped one on the car for now and I am holding onto a few for when the car is done and painted....just sorta cool to carry on the family business i guess haha.

1b81b644.jpg

Basically my goal with this car is to make an awesome driver that still turns a decent number at the track. I want to be able to take my fiance and son to the shows, and still show up at the Valley for events on Sundays. This thing is going to be about as far away from a trailer queen as you can get haha.

Against what I am sure about 95% of the members on this board will tell me....I am going to stick with the 307 for now. I have enough parts laying around that I want to try throwing some boost at it for a little while. I have a tendency to play with odd platforms, but I have always had good luck in the past...and as long as my tune is on spot, for the power I want to make I don't see it being a problem ;)

I started this weekend by pulling all the electronic Quadrajet stuff off and I rebuilt a Holley 600cfm vacuum secondary unit. Its nothing special to look at, just a regular old single feed Holley, but with a few tweaks its getting the job done. I have been fiddling with it today and I think I have it spot on. I even stuck with the ccc HEI distributor running it locked out @ 30*.

b7498a6b.jpg

4925886c.jpg

....I know....its absolutely disgusting under the hood right now lol. I have a lot of stuff that still needs to come off, but I wanted to at the very least get the carb in and dialed. It will obviously have to come back off for blow-through mods, but this is more then less just seeing how the motor runs on a standard 4bl (woke up compared to the Quadrajet). Even with the choke removed, after sitting all night....one pump and the car fires right up (warmed up, 16.2 inches of vacuum in park, 14.5 in gear)

This is a very slow start and not very interesting, but stay tuned...I hope to get some work done this week ;)

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Interesting to me as I did a 442 with many of the same goals. ie being an awesome driver, fast, affordable build, and no trailer queen. The 442 is a great platform to build from and the fact that it is an actual 442 means you have a better chance of getting the money back down the road if you sell it. Well assuming you don't cut if up so to speak. If you have seen my pics you see I am no stranger to boost and am a big fan of bang for the buck repeatable power of especially turbos. 307s were very reliable but will break easily when abused. I don't know much about blow through turbo setups though. If it woke up after swapping a out the Q-jet which should be a more responsive carb than the Holley that suggests the state of tune is bad. Probably never been rebuilt and the vacuum hoses cap rotor plugs & wires are probably also still original or in a similar state of disrepair. Looking forward to watching your build.

bfurches

Apprentice
Aug 1, 2011
dogshit said:
If it woke up after swapping a out the Q-jet which should be a more responsive carb than the Holley that suggests the state of tune is bad. Probably never been rebuilt and the vacuum hoses cap rotor plugs & wires are probably also still original or in a similar state of disrepair. Looking forward to watching your build.

...I suppose I should have mentioned its not exactly an out of the box Holley either ;)
But, in all fairness, I did swap cap, rotor, plugs and removed or replaced alot of vacuum hoses all at the same time....so its not a fair assessment to point the blame at the CCC Quadrajet.

------------------------------------------------------

I have a 8.1L 496 from a 2002 HD pick-up with low miles. Eventually my end result would be to have that motor sitting under the hood on boost....and I will get there, but I plan on taking a different route for doing it. My ideal situation would be to get a spare frame, tuck it away in my garage and build it exactly the way I want with the 496 and a th400 (but obviously that is not a cheap build haha). So for now, I figure since I have 85% of the parts on hand....I will boost the 307 and enjoy it on a low budget while I acquire parts for the dream built chassis.

...a little peak of my compressor cover :)
Springfield-20101114-00079.jpg

dudeface

Master Mechanic
Aug 18, 2008
calgary alberta canada
looks like someone replaced your blacked out headlight bezels with all chrome ones. also your front bumper turn lights should be orange................both salon/442 signature options. grill is 84 not 86.........at least its blacked out. still not right though
just sayin.........have 2 1985 salons myself so kinda always have to point that out!!!

peace

dudeface

Master Mechanic
Aug 18, 2008
calgary alberta canada
wondering if you need any dash woodgrain stuff?? got a full set...........headlight, center dash, A/C , and radio bezel in near mint shape, no fading at all. also have both driver and passenger window switches. they are in great shape, all the silver striping is all there......NEAR MINT!!
can't really use it myself, my 85 woodgrain is different. anybody need it hit me up with a pm

peace

bfurches

Apprentice
Aug 1, 2011
dudeface said:
looks like someone replaced your blacked out headlight bezels with all chrome ones. also your front bumper turn lights should be orange................both salon/442 signature options. grill is 84 not 86.........at least its blacked out. still not right though
just sayin.........have 2 1985 salons myself so kinda always have to point that out!!!
peace

Yea, previous owner swapped the hurst grill, markers and etc....but the car is still a real 442 (see the body tag in the top pic). Also, rpo codes f41 and w42 are present on the trunk lid. 8.5 10 bolt 3.73 and etc.

I might hit you up on the wood grain stuff....still trying to decide if I am going to keep the wood or not....

dudeface

Master Mechanic
Aug 18, 2008
calgary alberta canada
very nice car.........T tops cars are getting harder to find, and a 442, can't beat it.
if your lookin for something different I also have a full interior set as well as door pull chromes, shifter bezel that have been done in a R vinyl wrap called "snakewood" did the wrap myself and used a 3M 2mm professional grade pinstripe for the silvering. turned out real nice...... also 4 speed shifter plastic can easily pop out of yours and swapped

pics of the stuff here, radio bezel is not in pic but I do have it as well . this is a complete woodgrain switch as well as near mint door pull chromes if yours are bubbling or peeling. anyone interested let me know

photos/displayimage.php?album=1748&pos=1

peace

maverick_124

Apprentice
Aug 1, 2011
the 442 looks exactly like my cutlass o.o down to the center console...how can someone tell a 442 apart from a supreme, if the title dont say, and there is nothing on the car that says so..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor