1987 Chevy El Camino/SBC 355 Build (2nd Rebuild!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lg1200

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2011
Re: SBC 355 Build (UPDATED WITH PICTURES 8-10-11)

bro..don't take that car to school...you leave that at your folks' house and drive that ugly 90's ford tempo to college. college kids have no respect for how OG that car's gonna look when you're done.

ElCamMan515

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2010
Central New York

Hey Everyone! I Finally Got To Break-In My Motor Tonight! I Am Doing Final Tuning Tomorrow Morning And Will Be Terrorizing The Streets Once Again Tomorrow Night When I Go To A Local Car Cruise! I Will Have Videos And Pics Coming Tomorrow! Will Keep You All Posted! Thank You Everyone On The Forum Who Helped Me Complete My Dream!

ElCamMan515

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2010
Central New York

Hey Everyone, Its Been A While Since I Updated My Thread!

Updates: I Was Able To Break In My Motor In Early Aug. Which Went Great! But Then Trouble Struck. Had To Replace Radiator Hoses And Went Through 8 Qts Of Oil Bc Of A Double Seal Issue. But The Biggest One Is A Run On Issue. The Car Will Be Going To A Shop As I Am Only 21 And New To Holley Carbs And Engine Tuning, I Figured I Would Let The Professionals Get Her Running Like A Champ.

Here Is A Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-TTB8XBEm4

Enjoy And Will Let Everyone Know When Im Terrorizing The Streets! And Hopefully Not Getting Any Tickets HAHAHA :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
Re: SBC 355 Build (UPDATED WITH PICTURES 9-09-11)

Man!! Soundin sweet and lookin so clean bruh! Congrats on a super job! Motivation for me..Yessir! its better to have a reputable shop take care of it for you. You did all of the work. Let em fine tune it and enjoy.. :D

Elco Warren 8)

ElCamMan515

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2010
Central New York
Re: SBC 355 Build (UPDATED WITH PICTURES 9-09-11)

Little Update For Everyone!
I Took My El Camino To The Shop Last Week. Well Exhaust Sits So Low It Hit Coming Off Of Trailer and Fell Off. Did Not Think It Was A Big Prob And Told The Shop To Reinstall Exhaust. I Got A Call On Thursday Saying The Flage That Comes Off The Manifold Was Ruined As Well So I Went And Picked Up El Camino At Shop And Now Have To Reinstall The Entire 2.5 inch Exhaust System Basically From Scratch So That Is What I WIll Be Doing This Weekend When I Get Home From School. On A Bright Note, The Shop Set The Correct Timing And Got It To Run Pretty Damn Good! I Am Going To Buy A Heavier Spring For The Throttle Bracket On The Carb, So It Will Close Fully, Which I Think May Help My Run On Issue, As The Throttle Is Always Open A Slight Bit And The Car Will Not Idle Below 1000 Rpm Becasue It Is Open Just A Tad. You Can Use Your Hand To Push Thottle Closed On Carb And Car Will Idle Around 700 Before Sputtering And Dying From Lack Of Fuel. So Once I Get My Exhaust Fixed I Am Going To Drive It Up To Shop And Have Them Final Tune It. So Hopefully I Can Drive My Beast Before The Central New York Snow Hits!

God's Speed And Best Of Luck On Everyone's Projects!

ElCamMan515

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2010
Central New York
Re: SBC 355 Build (UPDATED WITH PICTURES 9-28-11)

Hi Guys and Gals,

It Has Been A While Since I Have Updated My Thread... Well Long Story Short Went To Take El Camino To Shop And Ripped Exhaust System Off While Coming Off The Trailer Last Aug. So Back Into The Shelterlogic It Went Until I Could Afford A New Exhaust System. That Time Has Come! Thanks To Limey and CutlassJesse, I Have A "New" Exhaust System And Will Be Fixing My Brake Issue This Weekend And Will Be On The Road Finally! I Will Update The Post Later This Week With A Vid Of The New Exhaust System. Enjoy! -- ElCam!

bigtmoney

Greasemonkey
Dec 11, 2011
Dallas, TX

That's good news, car looks great! So you've never really gotten to drive it much since you rebuilt it right?

ElCamMan515

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2010
Central New York

I Took Motor Out in Winter of 2009, Took Me Three Years To Fund Motor Rebuild. Motor Has About 10 Miles On It So Far

bigtmoney

Greasemonkey
Dec 11, 2011
Dallas, TX

You're patient man, I bought my regal in December and drove myself crazy trying to get it back together.

ElCamMan515

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2010
Central New York

Haha Idk About Patient, I Was Young And Dumb, It took me 3 years to raise 4k for the motor and transmission swap. there was a lot of frustration and many nights i wished i just kept the perfectly running 307 in and drove it until it died. but being 19 i was dumb and def learned my lesson 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor