1987 Chevy El Camino/SBC 355 Build (2nd Rebuild!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: SBC 355 Build (Bad News!)

Well Guys And Gals,

Bad News! Took The Valve Covers Off And Found Out What The Noise Was... Some How Bent ALL 16 Pushrods And Ground Down The Tops Of Three Valves All The Way To The Retainers... So My 355 Is Out Of Commission After Only 500 Miles... I Hope To Find A Used SBC To Stick In The Engine Bay Until I Can Afford New Parts For The 355... Thank You Everyone Who Has Helped Me With The Build.

-- ElCam

If all the pushrods were bent what ground down the valve stem? I don't understand what would bend the pushrods when the engine sounded real healthy in your videos plus you had it at a shop for them to set up the timing or something...The only reason I could think of is if you seriously over revved the engine

I'm guessing they started by grinding down the stems, until the rods buckled and bent

also, ElCam has old 492 heads which had tight pushrod bores for alignment. I was told these were common for wiping out rods in high lift cams. Which is why GM later opened up the pushrod bores and started using aligning rockers or guide plates.

these tight holes could have caught his rods, causing them to bind and buckle

That's a good point but if that is the case with the small openings would it not happen soon as the engine was fired up? It was run at a shop so I would think if they would have heard something or had problems getting the engine to run properly..

and your right bout the holes...they are small..

normal_Picture_161.jpg

chevyhead3052.jpg

compared to...

pushrod2fsmstn.jpg

... you have a point. If pushrods were binding, it would have blown during break in. ElCam, did you remove one of the valve springs during cam break in?

Just a shot in the dark and maybe I missed it in the thread somewhere...Did you change the valve springs to match the new higher lift cam???

Jbreu -- I did change springs to match cam and spring rate for springs are less than the springs lunati recommended for cam so springs should have been good.

Khan - The springs are single springs and they should have been fine for break in.

GP - Ill go take a picture and post it right now... i am lucky i didnt damage entire motor if a valve fell into cylinder.

Some Pictures:

Drivers Side:
578235_10150949535773838_532635455_n.jpg

196054_10150949535893838_1389969452_n.jpg

Pass Side: Two Valves Look Exactly Like This One
403467_10150949535668838_902951683_n.jpg

You have hydraulic lifters, right?

How did you set your lash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor