1987 El Camino Motor Mounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was the car ever hit?

Reactions: Longroof79
Hi there...

I just read that your motor is bolted up now, so I may be a tad bit late on this....

Ran into the same thing m'self a while back and my fix was to head to scrappie's and yank a set of mounts from a TBI truck engine. There is some sort of spacer plate between the mount and the block that I didn't use for my swap. Don't have pictures... Maybe someone else does?

My 327 was in a Monte Carlo, then repowered with a 383. Was concerned about smooshing the 30 yo rubber out of the budget mounts I used on the first go round, so stuffed in some poly bushings and then discovered I had the same issues I.e. "mounting".

HTH,

R.

Was the car ever hit?

Not to my knowledge. Although the dude I bought it from back in 2004 was kinda sketchy. And the clear coat on the hood completely peeled off within two years of having the car. If it was hit, the PO didn't say squat. So, maybe? There aren't any other indicators I've noticed and I know about every bolt on the girl. I'm attributing this motor mount trouble to cheap Chinese manufacturing.

Hi there...

I just read that your motor is bolted up now, so I may be a tad bit late on this....

Ran into the same thing m'self a while back and my fix was to head to scrappie's and yank a set of mounts from a TBI truck engine. There is some sort of spacer plate between the mount and the block that I didn't use for my swap. Don't have pictures... Maybe someone else does?

My 327 was in a Monte Carlo, then repowered with a 383. Was concerned about smooshing the 30 yo rubber out of the budget mounts I used on the first go round, so stuffed in some poly bushings and then discovered I had the same issues I.e. "mounting".

HTH,

R.

Yeah it was a real PITA this time. When I originally replaced the ol' tired 305 with the 350 about nine years ago, it went in effortlessly.

Success! With pagrunts advice and a little twist on my end, the block is mounted up!

Methodology:

Bolt the passenger mount loosely to the frame, thru bolt in the bracket and mount.
Driver mount not bolted to frame at all, thru bolt in the bracket and mount.
Drop some weight on the mounts to touch the frame but still have some give. I hooked the chain on the hoist to favor the passenger side a tad more.
Drop a little more weight
See that the driver side mount holes are nowhere close to lining up
Hammer the crap out of the driver side mount until the holes look somewhat close
Lift the motor a tad
Hammer
Drop the motor a tad
Hammer
Make sure the transmission tail is center
Hammer
Hammer again
Hammer again from a different angle
Check holes for alignment
Voila
Bolt up

Thank you all for your input, advice, information, tips etc. This forum is awesome. I'm stoked to bring this 383 beast to life!
I'm glad some of my useless knowlage (wifes words) was help full.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor