1987 El Camino Motor Mounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI, I have a set of mounts I got from O'reillys (same p/n) & the China man who made them has the inner rubber angled so I couldn't get the bolt thru, trying two sets of G body block side mounts. I even left the mounts loose & still a no go. I ended up using my Energy Suspension mounts after the dumb blonde finally read the installation instructions.

FYI, I have a set of mounts I got from O'reillys (same p/n) & the China man who made them has the inner rubber angled so I couldn't get the bolt thru, trying two sets of G body block side mounts. I even left the mounts loose & still a no go. I ended up using my Energy Suspension mounts after the dumb blonde finally read the installation instructions.

Okay, I cut the rubber tabs off and with that was able to get the drivers side thru bolt in the mount.... Then the passenger side was way off. Same distance as before but opposite. It appears the distance from driver to passenger side motor mount holes is less than the distance between the motor mount bracket holes.

So I lifted the block out, again, removed the new motor mounts and placed them side by side with the old mounts. There is a major height difference between the holes of the old and new. Old holes are lower and much closer to the crossmember/frame, the newer about 5/16 higher. This would make sense and it accounts for the new mount holes being too close together once in the frame.
IMG_20180122_183230093.jpg

Lesson here (so far) is do NOT buy O'Reilly's brand "Power Torque" Part Number A2292, just as Pagrunt advises above.

• Agree
Reactions: Texas82GP
I drove down the street to Auto Zone and picked these Duralast mounts up. Same part number 2292 less the "A" in O'reilly's sh*t brand. There is still a height difference between the holes, but they look much closer. And the old mount is worn down a bit explaining the discrepancy. I hope I'm not being too optimistic. Tomorrow will tell.
IMG_20180122_193617019.jpg

Reactions: Texas82GP
I had no issue with the Anchor brand.

Reactions: commandercool86
At had this problem too, so I used a stepped drill bit and made the hole bigger.

Which hole(s)? My guess is on the two upper motor mount holes. That might work since the bottom cross member hole is already ovaled out. I'm going to see how these Duralast mounts do tonight before I resort to drilling

Which hole(s)? My guess is on the two upper motor mount holes. That might work since the bottom cross member hole is already ovaled out. I'm going to see how these Duralast mounts do tonight before I resort to drilling
No I meant the cross holes. The one the big main mount bolt goes through. I did that and manipulated the rubber portion of the mount around with a screwdriver until the bolt went on through

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor