BUILD THREAD 1987 Monte Carlo from Iceland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I never said they fit, but they look beautiful, and after you spend some time making them fit precisely you will be much happier with the results.

I say for myself, having the tools I have, the experience I have, it's possible to reproduce these parts, but in doing so, this project would be finished at first in 2025, if at all, lack of motivation comes largely from the overwhelming feeling of the big job ahead, taking short cuts so to say, by using readymade panels is the way to go in my mind...

I haven't used g body panel parts before, so maybe i'm speaking out my rear, however it has been my experience with other projects that stamped panels only require minimal amount of work to fit properly.
I only mentioned the dual exhaust crossmember there all kind of crudely made stamped steel available new yes go for it

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Sævar Örn Eiríksson

Greasemonkey
May 5, 2018
ICELAND
I only mentioned the dual exhaust crossmember there all kind of crudely made stamped steel available new yes go for it

haha, i probably wasn't well awake when i read your reply because I thought I was talking about the under rear seat body brace, ofcourse making a trans crossmember is no biggie.

but I'm just overwhelmed by the availability of readymade parts available, this is unusual to me and money isnt such a huge issue so grabbing them off the shelf is tempting.

I got a reply from Summit saying they had already informed me the crossmember was on backorder and would be shipped out seperately 8th of june, so I'm not worried about it :)

Reactions: 3 users

Martin S.

Greasemonkey
Aug 17, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Good morning from Hamburg, Germany,

welcome from good old germany to this site; you´ll find good and assisting people here.
Very interesting thread, keep us updated. (y)

BR
Martin

Reactions: 5 users

Sævar Örn Eiríksson

Greasemonkey
May 5, 2018
ICELAND
FINALLY, a progress update.

This is the first time in this project that I do some (reassembly) and shorten the to do list... Everything up until now has been making the to do list longer.

Not that I believe the to do list will not get any longer from now on... Im sure it will at some point!

I started work on the rear frame rail repair sections from Conrad, they're an excellent fit and saves a lot of time and frustration, my frame was so rusted I had to use all of the material provided by Conrad, which is great in a sense, but it was very accurately enough for my case, I did strengthen the lower half of the axle hoop while in the process because when grinding through I found that rust had thinned the metal severly mostly on the bottom of the frame rail, not so much on the sides or the top.

21.jpg

The mock up of the repair section just after cutting away the damaged metal
22.jpg

The pasenger side frame rail fully assembled

23.jpg

The welds are adequate, I lost patience with my grinder so cleaning wasn't professional, this will do the job on this repair, it's not a high performance kind of car in my mind

24.jpg

I have yet to fit the rear bumper brace to ensure proper fitment before finalizing the welds on the drivers side, but I'm confident I will get that done tomorrow.

Until then, cheers.

Reactions: 8 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Very nice. It's good to see you making progress. Conrad's parts are top notch. Hopefully someone will continue in Conrad's footsteps after he retires.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Sævar Örn Eiríksson

Greasemonkey
May 5, 2018
ICELAND
I must again admit that I haven't been too active on the project, however I've used this time to gather more parts for the rebuild, such as the transmission crossmember, adjustable links for the rear suspension and bolts(mine are rusted to crap)

I've made arrangements to have the frame sandblasted and primered for me, so I can go ahead and paint and clear it so it will be amazing I hope

Eventually I will have to fabricate all the fuel and brake lines on the frame, they're all 30 years old and rotted, the rubber lines will be replaced with stainless braided lines for a more solid pedal

So far I've gotten almost everything I need to tackle the rust repair on the body shell so I imagine I'll be getting busy on that next, Brian Weaver is sending me the last thing I needed, the under firewall body mount braces which are not available new.

I'm confident progress will take off soon and there will be a lot of work in july, my girlfriend is going on a holiday with her family so I'll have some more spare time and energy SSSSH :)

sum-829105_at_xl.jpg

Summit Racing® Mini High-Torque Starters GM 350 SUM-829105

SUM-770300_xl.jpg

Summit Racing® Transmission Crossmember G BODY TH350 SUM-770300

61xYwK3eHOL._SL1000_.jpg

Solar Auto Darkening Welder Welding Helmet ARC TIG MIG Grinding Mask Mouth Devil
81nUxr7a6RL._SL1500_.jpg

2018 AHP AlphaTIG 200 X 200 Amp IGBT AC DC Tig/Stick Welder with PULSE 110v 220v

IMG_20180613_111112912_HDR.jpg

Body mounts and under rear seat cross member and body mount brace from king Brian Weaver.

thats all for now, having these parts on hand will certainly remind me that the project must go on!

Reactions: 2 users

Rustic302

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2018
London, UK
Good work Saevar!!

Yes it looks like you jumped right in, I have been at that stage that you mentioned - counting up the issues that need sorting - for weeks and, likewise, it keeps adding up..

Your story of picking your Monte up reminds me of a Firebird I sold. I told the buyer that it would probably be best to transport the car due to brake issues but he flew in from Dubai where he was working, collected the Pontiac in heavy snow and drove it 400 miles from London to Glasgow with no issues!

Gotta love American cars(y)

Reactions: 1 users

Sævar Örn Eiríksson

Greasemonkey
May 5, 2018
ICELAND
I sent my girlfriend on a vacation to Montenegro, so now I have two weeks to get some progress! hehe

A status update, parts organization etc... I see now that I have most of the parts I will need to make this car rust free, I need the inner rocker panels though but they're on the way right now, I will begin cutting, tomorrow.

36687817_10157684745157907_5355458737869946880_n.jpg
36776558_10157684746252907_7486887802412466176_n.jpg

The things I have so far, from the top of my head at least, G body dual exhaust TH350 crossmember, summit cheap headers for G body, summit high torque starter motor, rust repair cut out front body mount braces from Brian, front rocker ends, rocker panels, complete floor pan,trunk body mount braces, summit G body body mount bushes and bolt kit, g body under rear seat body mount brace

Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor