BUILD THREAD 1987 Monte Carlo from Iceland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sævar Örn Eiríksson

Greasemonkey
May 5, 2018
ICELAND
The rear left body mount braces are almost ready to be welded in, I need to do some further repairs on the quarterpanel seam in the wheel well and the under rear window floor to wheel well seam, these are a little rusty at the seam but not much else,

clearly some flexibilty is causing this issue, the frame of the car needs more rigidity in the back as I have seen written in various magazines and forum topics,

I'll be sure to do some of that to mine before final assembly to prevent this from happening again in the future, but the worst news were that I am currently out of inert gas for my welder, hehe. this only happens when you are most motivated and need it most, no gas hehe

36733011_10157687652182907_592662511405236224_n.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Rustic302

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2018
London, UK
Hello Saevar, did you get any gas for your welder, how much work did you get done?
(I haven't done anything during the world cup haha, but now we're out it's back on!)

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Sævar Örn Eiríksson

Greasemonkey
May 5, 2018
ICELAND
Hi Thanks for the inquiry, no I haven't been productive this week, I've had apprentices in training at work so I haven't been able to get to the gas company for a new bottle, I'm sending dad to pick up a new one for me tomorrow, so the weekend might be productive I hope !

The world cup doesn't bother me at all, Iceland did pretty good though, for their first time in the cup defeating Argentina etc.
However I bet that Croatia would win England, 2-1 and I got a crate full of beer from my CEO. hehe, don't judge me for betting England out, it was a shot in the dark by me, I don't watch soccer AT all!

Firetruck1

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2017
I admire your dedication. A car like this stateside (and I mean anywhere) would have been scrapped no questions asked. Ive taken cars 10 times better to the shredder many times over. You are one brave soul doing this!

Reactions: 1 user

Sævar Örn Eiríksson

Greasemonkey
May 5, 2018
ICELAND
I admire your dedication. A car like this stateside (and I mean anywhere) would have been scrapped no questions asked. Ive taken cars 10 times better to the shredder many times over. You are one brave soul doing this!

Thanks man, it's nothing that hasn't been done before on my island, hehe. Cars rust here, it's a fact, older cars have a difficulty, however, many of them are just slapped together and painted so they look good. I wouldn't sleep good at night knowing what lays below, remember the photo I showed earlier showing the driver side seatbelt mount brace? jeez

Anyway, some progress today, fixed the rear left body mount braces in place permanently, I will later draw a paint brush with seam sealer over all the seams and welds sealing them shut to the elements, and filling all cavities with spray filler, paint and clear, and at rest with my special rust prevention formula so it should last another 30 years at least

I also fixed the area under the rear seat cross section, which had already broken, and the body cushion mount was deteriorated so I fabbed a new one and put in its place, looks decent enough and now it's solid again!

The rust percentage is dropping !

montecarlo3.jpg

The rear left body mount brace finally in, temporarily, after fixing the trunk floor that holds it in, this piece needed some hammer action to fit right, but it's a great repair piece!

montecarlo4.jpg

The piece in, and the hole cut for the repair of the body cushion mount
montecarlo5.jpg

That's it for today...!

Reactions: 5 users

Sævar Örn Eiríksson

Greasemonkey
May 5, 2018
ICELAND
Today starts easy, I don't want to start cutting the rocker panels away since I haven't received the inner rocker panel yet, it's sitting on my pallet in florida waiting to be flown over to me, this will happen later this week.

Currently I'm just cleaning up the shop, yes its a chore at 1500 sq ft and having a rust bucket and dust flying everywhere hehe

Mostly I'm just throwing away old stuff, things I'm sure I won't be reusing on the car, like the carpet... and damn, I figured out where that stench was coming from, jeez!

It will be much more motivational coming to the shop to work on the car, when it's not smelling like ammonia! hehe

Any recommendations for buying a new carpet? I'd like to keep the tan color if possible, I see a few options available affordably on Rockauto, are they decent? I'd like a carpet with factory like(or better) sound deadening.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Today starts easy, I don't want to start cutting the rocker panels away since I haven't received the inner rocker panel yet, it's sitting on my pallet in florida waiting to be flown over to me, this will happen later this week.

Currently I'm just cleaning up the shop, yes its a chore at 1500 sq ft and having a rust bucket and dust flying everywhere hehe

Mostly I'm just throwing away old stuff, things I'm sure I won't be reusing on the car, like the carpet... and damn, I figured out where that stench was coming from, jeez!

It will be much more motivational coming to the shop to work on the car, when it's not smelling like ammonia! hehe

Any recommendations for buying a new carpet? I'd like to keep the tan color if possible, I see a few options available affordably on Rockauto, are they decent? I'd like a carpet with factory like(or better) sound deadening.
I recommend the ACC cutpile carpet with mass-backing. The quality and fit are exceptional. You could go with the Essex carpet with mass-backing as well. The Essex is just a more plush weave. The cutpile is a good match for the carpet that came from the factory in these cars. RockAuto has both...
Screenshot_20180715-135334_Samsung Internet.jpg

We used the mass-backed carpet in my brother's car and I bought it for mine. This link describes the mass-backing...
https://www.accmats.com/articles/everything-about-mass-backing/

Hope this helps!

• Agree
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor