BUILD THREAD 1987 Olds 442 Project Build

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I know I can't wait to see it done. I am in complete Olds Envy!

Thank you sir. That makes two of us.

Just put wheels on all four corners and I can see the front wheels are way toe-out. Like naked eye toe-out. I haven't checked the old center link vs the new as far as the inner tie rod mounting holes. Maybe the Moog part has them mounted a little farther out? Rechecked the old inner/outers measurement vs the new assembled ones - same. Hmmmm? Oh well they get adjusted regardless.

I'll measure the back of the tire center vs the front of tire center and take that measurement and split it in half and adjust both sides to get it to "sort of right".

Then I have to hang the front sheet metal to get wheel BS measurements.

Hutch

Reactions: 1 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Did some work on the 442 tonight. Checked the rear caliper fitment. Had to clock the the backing plate that also serves as the caliper mount 180 degrees (the caliper hit the coil over spring). It moved the caliper from the 3 o'clock position to about the 8 o'clock position. No more issues.
IMG_4388.JPG

I also hung the front sheet metal on to get some measurements for the correct back spacing I'll need for the 18 inch SSIII's. Just need to get it on the ground and let the springs settle a little.
IMG_4391.JPG

IMG_4392.JPG

The 18 inch wheel looks huge in comparison, but with the lower profile tire it's only a smidge taller than the 15 inch with the stock size P215/65R15 tire.

It looks like a car again! It's getting exciting!

Hutch

• Winner
Reactions: 8 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Nice...Which valve covers do you plan to use with those?

Good question. This is the very reason I got them now. The stock covers are too low and the "Tall" set I have I don't like. I found a site that sells remakes of the 67-72 Olds Big Block covers with the back pull ins for the A/C box and master cylinder booster.
valve covers.jpg

They look a little taller that my stockers. I know there's an interference issue with the bottom of the A/C box with Olds BB swaps. Maybe this will work??

Hutch

Reactions: 2 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I haven’t read through the whole thing and sorr if it was asked who did the wheels?

This great guy Gary did all the work. He wanted to get them produced, but the company he went with kinds screwed him. It never made it into production. I happened to be in the middle of a long e-mail conversation with him (I had a link to his company on my website and was helping find a buyer for his wheel plans) when the subject of selling the Prototype and the 4 unassembled wheels came up. Next thing ya know, they're mine :D:D:LOL::love::love:

Hutch

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor