BUILD THREAD 1987 Olds 442 Project Build

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I am sincerely hoping that putting the upper control arms on is easier with them already attached to the rear end because, if not, I am committing suicide immediately. I had them on once with the rear end already attached and nearly committed suicide then of course finding out next that my rear end was toast.

Cautionary recommendation: Even if you are not experiencing rear end problems, pull the cover and make sure your rear end is completely good BEFORE you swap all the control arms, shocks, springs, etc.

Thanks. I actually had the entire rear inspected prior to the installation. It had a tiny 1310 yoke on it when I bought it, and when I had it changed, I told them to go through the entire thing and let me know of any issues. Clean bill of health is what I got.

Hutch

Reactions: 2 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Don't know who I missed this build but glaf I found it. Looks great!!

Thank you! You prob missed it because I'm terrible about giving updates unless it's something big, and even then I tend to procrastinate. :roll:

Hutch

Reactions: 1 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I think from here I'm moving back to the front to do the steering and then after that brakes I think. I've only got the one 18" proto wheel to check backspace with.

It leaves me in a spot. The "shop wheels" I have are an old set on MCSS 15 inchers. If I use them, I can't install the front caliper assemblies because I need a min 17 inch wheel with the C5 set up. If I want to assemble my SSIII's I have to assemble the front end sheet metal and wheel wells to get an idea of clearance and BS for the wheels.

First World problems, I know :p

Reactions: 2 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Hutch, those wheels are awesome. Just my personal opinion: I think the wheel stripe and the body stripe should match... Great job on the build, though!(y)

Thanks you.

I couldn't agree more on the stripes matching. If you notice my rendering, I plan on using the 83 Hurst Olds stripe kit after bodywork and paint.

Hutch

Reactions: 4 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I am sincerely hoping that putting the upper control arms on is easier with them already attached to the rear end because, if not, I am committing suicide immediately. I had them on once with the rear end already attached and nearly committed suicide then of course finding out next that my rear end was toast.

Well then hide your shoe laces now. I installed the rear with the bottom control arms on the rear and it was a pain. If I do it again both upper and lower in the frame first. It was hard lining them up with all that weight attached to them.

Hutch

• Agree

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Well then hide your shoe laces now. I installed the rear with the bottom control arms on the rear and it was a pain. If I do it again both upper and lower in the frame first. It was hard lining them up with all that weight attached to them.

Hutch
Actually, doing the lowers after the fact would not bother me at all. Just those damn uppers. And mine are adjustables even. Just not enough room up in there. Hoping having them pressed on the rear end side AND being adjustables makes the uppers easier?

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Breaking out the Moog Steering parts and the Baer Bump Stop Eliminator rod ends for assembly. First they need a good cleaning and a couple of coats of Diamond Clear. I love the look of raw cast metals.
IMG_4358 - 2.JPG

Have to measure out the old steering linkage from center inner rod to outer rod to ballpark the new stuff. Luckily it's preserved in a good layer of oil, grease and dirt :D
IMG_4360-2.jpg

IMG_4361.JPG

Measurement was 18" both sides.

Hutch

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 6 users

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
I love the look of bare metal . . . in the morning. Looks like . . . like . . . bare metal!

Seriously, was debating what to do with mine and never even thought about just . . . clear! Good idea. (y)

I learn something every time I log on here . . .

And, for all I know, Spohn probably gets theirs from Moog anyway.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor