BUILD THREAD 1987 Olds 442 Project Build

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Good question. This is the very reason I got them now. The stock covers are too low and the "Tall" set I have I don't like. I found a site that sells remakes of the 67-72 Olds Big Block covers with the back pull ins for the A/C box and master cylinder booster.
View attachment 96546

They look a little taller that my stockers. I know there's an interference issue with the bottom of the A/C box with Olds BB swaps. Maybe this will work??

Hutch
Hi used an original set on my 87 Cutlass with roller rockers and a 455 without spacers and they worker perfect

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Is the engine done? I got Morel roller lifters from Mark for around $300, and my cam from Travato for about the same. I like Bill's cam profiles.
Edit: call Bill!

No, the engine build isn't even started :( I WILL be using Morel Hyd Roller Lifters when the time comes.

Hi used an original set on my 87 Cutlass with roller rockers and a 455 without spacers and they worker perfect

Yes, I've heard others say the same. With no gasket it's too close. What VC gasket did you use? I think they make a twice thick gasket for the Olds.

Looking awesome! Can’t wait to see the finished product! (y)

Thank you sir. I just put it down on the ground and it looks strange to me. I've been used to seeing it at eye level way up on jack stands, that on the ground it seems like it's slammed in the weeds.

Hutch

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
I have those standard height “OLDSMOBILE” stamped covers that I had chromed on mine but did need to use thicker (no sealant required) gaskets.

Fleming442 and I had this discussion on another thread a while back. I’ll try to find it.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
No, the engine build isn't even started :( I WILL be using Morel Hyd Roller Lifters when the time comes.

Yes, I've heard others say the same. With no gasket it's too close. What VC gasket did you use? I think they make a twice thick gasket for the Olds.

Thank you sir. I just put it down on the ground and it looks strange to me. I've been used to seeing it at eye level way up on jack stands, that on the ground it seems like it's slammed in the weeds.

Hutch
I just used Fel-Pro cork gaskets right off the shelf

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
I just used Fel-Pro cork gaskets right off the shelf
Yup, I know. My big block in my 87 with aluminum heads, intake, even a FloKooler aluminum water pump
thumbsup.gif
weighs 40 lbs less than the small block did. And [currently] makes more than twice the power. Gotta love that. I've just spent enough money lately. SBC Edelbrock Performer? $175-200. BBO? $350-400. Buying used is too unpredictable.

EDIT: BTW, I used those Permadryplus valve cover gaskets on my aluminum heads big block with the early 70s stamped Oldsmobile valve covers and have had zero issues. Believe it or not, with the Comp Cams roller rockers and the .496/.512 lift cam, I had a slight tick in a couple of spots and just needed the additional clearance the thicker gasket allowed. Problem solved. I have not tried them on iron heads though.

Found it . . .

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Thank you. Just what I needed. Any fitment issues with the A/C box?

Hutch

Well, I call it my “chrome valve cover theft deterrent feature” but to get the PS side on/off you have to have the engine about 180 before TDC so that number 8 valve is wide open to get the cover on/off. But no problems beyond that. A good 1/4-3/8” of clearance once it is on.

EDIT: Just have to decide if and why you are going to be taking your covers off regularly? I have had no regrets.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
EDIT: Just have to decide if and why you are going to be taking your covers off regularly? I have had no regrets.

Just read somewhere that to fit the A/C box side, people were cutting the bottom of the box just to get the engine to fit. Maybe that was with the tall valve covers. Not sure.

And I have no plans to take the covers on and off once the engine is in, but no one plans to ever take their engine apart once installed. Doesn't mean it won't happen :rolleyes:

Hutch

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor