BUILD THREAD 1987 Olds 442 Project Build

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Ah, found another dormant brain cell . . . sorry Hutch but it is going on 13 years now since the build.

I made custom baffles for my covers due to pcv oil suck with the stock baffle and also went with dual pcv valves. Was sucking in oil so I made and brazed on the same shallow baffles that extend clear to the very end of both valve covers, then had them blasted and chromed. I pull in the air from both ends back to the center and then out => no more oil suck. I also had an off idle ~ light throttle hesitation, more akin to turbo lag on a turbocharged engine, that was due to the single pcv valve opening just a bit too soon combined with ECM confusion over the extra cubes and bigger cam. So, I take filtered air clear down into the crankcase through the oil tube and then evacuate both valve covers. The two pcvs in parallel require just a bit more rpm to pop them both open so the light throttle hesitation problem was solved and, I might add, it does a more efficient job of evacuating the engine by taking clean air clear down into the crankcase and then up both sides [look at the pcv intake side of a high mileage motor ~ solid gunk]. Of course, at the rate I'm NOT getting it back together, I may never get this motor to "high mileage" but . . . details!

If someone can provide the underside view of the factory baffles on stock covers, I will go pop my DS cover back off and snap a pic?

Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Hutch can take pics when he gets them; they're already boxed up.

My 468 has so much crankcase pressure I had to remove the PCV. It still pushes the "top hat" oil fill cap up with breathers in both covers. Don't ask; it's a sore subject.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I think you need to dimple the baffles for the polylocks.
Hutch, I'll get them out in a day or 2.

Thank you. How great is it that yesterday I said "I think I'm gonna get a set" and today they're ready to ship. I LOVE THIS FORUM!!!

Hutch

Reactions: 3 users

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Oh, another brain cell woke up, and I think it might be just 90 prior to #1TDC when that far back valve is wide open. It's been a while . . . 180 is probably close enough to get the valve cover to slide by though. Doesn't need much.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I wonder if Harland made Comp's? I don't have a pic in the package but they look awfully familiar minus the color. Comp has gone to the gold color too though. Excuse my filthy motor. It has needed a bath for [now] OVER 3 years.

View attachment 96569
Pretty sure the owner of Scorpion claimed they made nearly all the US made aluminum roller rockers on the market.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I do love the cool factor. I have seriously considered the dual quad with dual Street Demon carbs. Dual Edelbrock carbs scare me and the Offy intake is a terrible design. The rarer Edelbrock 065 dual quad is a better intake. With the big block there probably isn't enough clearance for 1" Phenolic spacers, otherwise with the Edelbrock/Carter hot start issues it is a good idea. The wheels look awesome by the way.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor