BUILD THREAD 1987 Olds 442 Project Build

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I would probably buy 17x8 like the Centerlines I have. They seem to fit nicely and don't look too "modern". I think Gary's/Hutch's are 18"?

Correct. They're 18x8's

Hutch

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Just got these 0.060 over 455 Speed Pro's.
IMG_4425.JPG

IMG_4426.JPG

IMG_4423.JPG

I'm starting to get my engine parts in order for the build up. The pistons are 2g from lightest to heaviest. I plan to balance them to 0.1g of each other. Gotta break out the rods and do the same balance (prob to 1g of each other bigs and littles).

I guess I can start on the brakes now too, now that I'll have wheels to fit them (guess I should buy some tires first :rolleyes:)

Hutch

Reactions: 4 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Balanced the pistons and checked the balance on the rods. The rods matched up with the spec card that came with them (the anal part of me had to double check ;))
IMG_4433.JPG
IMG_4434-1.jpg

Hutch

Reactions: 6 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Oh yeah, I posted in "What did you buy" but not here.

I got a J&S Machine Torque Plate (or Honing Plate) in the mail. I couldn't find a local machine shop that still had one of these. Plus J&S was having a sale on these, so I couldn't pass it up.
IMG_4431.JPG

I also bought their Grade 8 bolt kit. They even threw in a drink koozie :banana:

Hutch

Reactions: 5 users

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Hutch, any updates?

Also, meant to ask where you are in MD? We should get together the next time I am up there. Get all the Marylanders together. I have yet to buy Bruce a beer...

Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Joe, he's down south IIRC. It's all good; I'm down for wherever.

Hutch, they were ripping you a new one on ROP about the wheel construction. Have you had them checked for runout? You should pop in over there, and set'em straight.

Reactions: 1 user

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Ah, how far south? My aunt is in the Severna Park area. That's semi-south (of B'more haha). Or is more like Upper Marlboro, Waldorf, La Plata south?

Ya, post to ROP as it needs some more posting action. I fear that ROP is a dying forum...

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor