Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I got the speedo gears installed in the TH400

First I remove the 6 9/16 bolts from the tail shaft housing
IMG_4459.JPG

I lay out the parts I bought.
IMG_4439.JPG

With the tail shaft housing off, I rotate the output shaft until the machined hole for the retention clip is facing up.
IMG_4445.JPG

A shot of the clip and the indent that fits in the shaft hole.
IMG_4447.JPG

The retention clip positioned on the shaft.
IMG_4449.JPG

cont....

Reactions: 3 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
The "Drive" and "Driven" gears are 15 and 39 tooth.

This shows the recess in the 15 tooth drive gear where the clip and gear go together.
IMG_4450.JPG

I slide the drive gear on the output shaft. I push the retainer clip pigtail down and slide the gear over the clip until it's fully seated.
IMG_4451.JPG

IMG_4452.JPG

**TIP** When counting the teeth of a gear like this never count from the side. It's too easy to get it wrong. Instead, look at the gear from the top. When the tooth groove terminates at the top it leaves a sort of half circle that will resemble the cogs of a sprocket.. Count those half circles all the way around and That's your tooth count.

Now I'm ready to install the speedo housing in the trans.
IMG_4444.JPG

IMG_4454.JPG

Even though the housing says 36-37-38-39, it should work for "Driven" gears 34-39. Any larger and you'll need the 40-45 driven housing which is different.

cont....

Reactions: 4 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I put a little oil on the housing O-Ring and the shaft of the driven gear. This protects the O-Ring and housing seals.

I slide the driven gear in the housing and then seat the housing in the case.
IMG_4455.JPG

IMG_4456.JPG

I check for proper tooth engagement since the housing is already off. If I was doing this "In Car" I would just push the speedo housing in slowly and "Feel" the mesh of the gears.
IMG_4458.JPG

Now I just place the housing retainer clip into the cast slots of the speedo housing and install the bolt and tighten.
IMG_4457.JPG

Since this is a fresh rebuild, the tail shaft housing gasket was in perfect shape. It goes on dry so I just reinstall the housing and gasket and tighten the 6 bolts.

All done.

Hutch

Reactions: 4 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Got out the metal glue gun to fix an issue that's been bugging me.

The metal where the door striker bolts on has a crack that runs almost the entire way around. It was from years of shutting the door with bad hinge bushings (read No Bushings). Even the door handle is bent a little from yanking the door up to close it.
IMG_4461.JPG

IMG_4460.JPG

I build a bridge bracket to pull the metal flat so I can put some tacks around it to hold it for the rest of the welding.
IMG_4462.JPG

IMG_4463.JPG

With enough tack welds to hold it, I start slowly stitching my way around it. I do a 12 o'clock, 3, 6, 9, and then another time around. I hit it with some air to cool it down every two rotations until I've got the whole perimeter done. They're not great welds, but their mine. I need a lot more time on the gun, but it's coming along.
IMG_4464.JPG

Now I just use the edge of a grinding wheel to knock down the welds and then a flap disc to level it out.
IMG_4466.JPG

IMG_4468.JPG

Ahhh, that feels better. I was tired of walking by and seeing that stupid circle crack mocking me. Now on to the next thing.

Hutch

• Winner
Reactions: 9 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Oh, and I got the car with that busted metal. Previous owner did all the busting. $12 for a new hinge bushing kit could have saved all that. :doh: Maybe he knew I needed the welding time. :rolleyes:

Hutch

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yes, its the corporate GM engine Oldsmobile would have put in the 442 if they were still around.
Actually it probably would have been a RWD Supercharged version of the Cadillac V8 in an alternate timeline. Of course this also includes GM making cars I would want to buy. As we all know this timeline does not exist in our reality;).

Reactions: 1 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Actually it probably would have been a RWD Supercharged version of the Cadillac V8 in an alternate timeline. Of course this also includes GM making cars I would want to buy. As we all know this timeline does not exist in our reality;).

Yeah, the engineers have so many design rules they can't break that it puts them in a box so they couldn't possibly make anything truly fun to drive.

Hutch

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor