BUILD THREAD 1987 Olds 442 Project Build

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Can't wait for the videos on this as well. There will be video...correct? It's great to have some video how-to's that actually are specific to most of everyone's G-body needs and highly detailed. And more p*rn music while you're screwin'....all the screws back in place. :p

Like death and taxes, there will always be video. I'll try to take more pics as well (I've been a bit lacking with that). Maybe my new hook is slipping the "bow-chicka-wow-wow" into every vid :ROFLMAO: who knows?

Hutch

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Yeah, right at the climax of the video when the big finished project reveal shot. :ROFLMAO:

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
What has my thread degenerated into?? :unsure:o_O:roll:

It's my own fault.

How about that Redskins game? Too bad we have to play both halves. We're usually pretty good at one of them, but both???

Hutch

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
So I finally got around to fixing the Tilt on my Steering column. I posted a detailed "How to" over at the How to / Knowledge Base section. Here's what I did:

I removed the Steering Wheel and got down to business.

I referred to my shop manual and my crusty memory to get this done. It's been a few years since I did one :roll:

I attached the Steering Wheel Lock Plate Remover and tightened until I fully expose the snap ring on the shaft. I used a pair of small flat blades (or seal picks) to wrestle it off.
IMG_4598.JPG

IMG_4600.JPG

IMG_4601.JPG

IMG_4602.JPG

I remove the Upper Bearing Spring, and with a small Phillips remove the Hazard Flasher Button.
IMG_4603.JPG

IMG_4604.JPG

With a Phillips screwdriver, I remove the Turn Signal Stalk Lever and the (3) screws that hold the Turn Signal Switch Assembly on. You have to click the assembly to “Right Turn” to gain access to the one screw.
IMG_4606.JPG

IMG_4607.JPG

IMG_4608.JPG

I recommend replacing the Turn Signal Return Springs. These springs break over time, and at $3 it’s great insurance. I do this to every column I crack open.
IMG_4611.JPG

IMG_4631.JPG

Continued...

• Informative
Reactions: 5 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Part 2 of the Loose Tilt Column:

Remove the Steering Column Bracket below the dash (since more than likely most will have the column in the car). I remove the Turn Signal Switch Assembly wiring harness from the lower column. This will allow the Switch to pull out enough to help in later steps. Do the same with the Cruise Control Wire.
IMG_4612 - Copy.JPG

IMG_4623.JPG

I pull the Turn Signal Switch Assembly out and let it hang down. I pull the Buzzer Switch Assembly out. (There’s a spring clip that will stay stuck in there. I’ll get that in a minute)
IMG_4614.JPG

IMG_4616.JPG

I use a T20 Torx to remove the Ignition Cylinder holding pin, and I remove the Ignition Cylinder. With that removed I can get that Buzzer Switch Assembly retaining clip out (I'm careful not to yank it out. You can bend or break that little guy) It fits on the Switch as pictured.
IMG_4620.JPG

IMG_4621.JPG

IMG_4618.JPG

I remove the Upper Bearing Inner Race Seat and the (3) silver T30 Torx screws along with the Tilt Lever. I pull the Lock Housing Cover out and let it hang with the Signal Switch. I remove the Column Housing Cover End Cap as well.
IMG_4624.JPG

IMG_4625.JPG

IMG_4626.JPG

IMG_4627.JPG

Continued...

• Informative
Reactions: 4 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Part 3 of the Loose Tilt Column:

I use a Phillips screwdriver to remove the Wheel Tilt Spring by compressing the cap and turning counter clockwise. It comes out as one piece.
IMG_4628.JPG

IMG_4629.JPG

I pull the upper Bearing Inner Race before pulling the Steering Column Housing as this little guy will fly off later and skip or roll to parts unknown.
IMG_4648.JPG

I used the Lisle 19940 Steering Wheel Pivot Pin Remover tool. It has excellent reviews. Not so much for this other guy (black and white photo) The interwebs have reported that the small threaded end has been known to break off and cause cursing and tears.
IMG_4632.JPG

112443.jpg

The screw part of the tool threads in to the Pivot Pin (the head is a 9/64 Allen) The cup goes on the outside of the pin. I use a 1/2 inch wrench to tighten down and pull the pin out.
IMG_4635.JPG

I put the Tilt Lever back in and move it a few times to release the top of the housing. With this done, I pull it out slightly and rotate clockwise to get the High Beam Rod pushed through the opening in the housing. I let the housing hang down (Now is the perfect time to add some grease to those bearings if they’ve gone a bit dry)
IMG_4645.JPG

IMG_4646.JPG

IMG_4642 - Copy.JPG

Finally!! Here are the offending bolts. There are (4) E8 Reverse Torx Bolts that hold the tilt together. One was so loose I just pulled it out. It was just sitting there! I tighten all (4) bolts, then loosen one at a time to remove, clean, add Red Loctite, and tighten down.
IMG_4636.JPG

IMG_4639.JPG

Continued...

• Informative
Reactions: 5 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Part 4 of the Loose Tilt Column:

A Few Things To Watch For When Reassembling:

This Ignition Switch Actuator Rack (attached to the Steering Column Housing)
IMG_4644.JPG

Must go over this pin that is part of the Switch Actuator Assembly
IMG_4655.JPG

That controls this rod down to the Ignition Switch on the column
IMG_4656.JPG

The Actuator Rack and this Sector gear must line up like this. Before putting the pins in, I stick the Ignition Cylinder in the slot where it would go and check the function of this.
IMG_4654.JPG

The Column Housing Cover End Cap has a Dimmer Switch Rod Actuator that sits in it like this:
IMG_4649 - Copy.JPG

It has to engage the Dimmer Rod like so:
IMG_4651.JPG

With the End Cap in place I hold the End Cap with my Left hand and use my Right thumb to push the Actuator and click the Dimmer Switch. If that’s OK then I install the Lock Housing Cover.
IMG_4657.JPG

I install the Buzzer Switch Assembly and Retaining Clip as one unit. I turn the Ignition Cylinder to run and use a small screwdriver or seal pick to push the Green tab up (it should stay up for you) to be able to install them.
IMG_4619.JPG

IMG_4618.JPG

I'm saving the Steering Wheel install for later since the same wheel isn't going back on.

Hutch

Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor