BUILD THREAD 1987 Olds 442 Project Build

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Thank you! It's an odd mix seeing the sano frame and suspension in contrast to the desperate need for TLC on the body. I'm still on the fence about whether I'll do the body work and paint myself or send it to a shop. Finances may make that decision for me.

Hutch
pshaw!!!!!

I know you own a few of these cash cannons....

KoEkD3.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Your note is very accurate about using the stock front hoses if you still have the mounting brackets.

Also funny that you identified the same issue I found with the Exploder rear discs leaking at the hoses. Also, I have had a heck of a time bleeding them from dry. I’ve done it 4 times now, and every time conventional bleeding doesn’t work.

Good luck and looks great!

Reactions: 1 user

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Also funny that you identified the same issue I found with the Exploder rear discs leaking at the hoses. Also, I have had a heck of a time bleeding them from dry. I’ve done it 4 times now, and every time conventional bleeding doesn’t work.
Yeah, those calipers did not want to seal. Better stated, those copper washers wouldn't cooperate. Multiple loosening and tightening and cranking back and forth while snug never got it all the way. I was worried about over torqueing the banjo, so I tried to sneak up on it and finally got a seal at 26 lb ft.

As far as the bleeding is concerned, I have a good gravity bleed flow out, so I hope conventional bleeding will work ok. I'll report back when I get to it.

Hutch

Reactions: 1 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I bolt the front clip together to begin some side projects while I wait for my engine to get out of Machine Shop Jail.
IMG_4851.JPG

IMG_4852.JPG

I'm going to ditch the Coat Hangers GM used for Core Support Braces.
IMG_4854.JPG

I favor of a set from a 1986 Pontiac Grand Prix
IMG_4856.JPG

IMG_4855.JPG

They're a little longer than the stock 442 braces, so I just drill some holes in the Inner Fenders Panels. I'll weld some M8x1.25 nuts on the backs to use the stock bolts.
Braces Done 2.jpg

Much better.

Next: Weld up the unused holes on the Core Support and smooth it out.

Hutch

Reactions: 7 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I got the welder out and went to town on the Core Support. I make a few patch pieces and address the gap in the hood spring area.
IMG_4860.JPG
IMG_4858.JPG

IMG_4859.JPG

The gap between the Rad Cover and under layer of sheet metal looks shoddy
IMG_4857.JPG

I make a small patch piece to put on top and join the two together.
IMG_4868.JPG

Some rosette welds and spot welds later and it's getting there.
IMG_4874.JPG

IMG_4879.JPG

Hutch

Reactions: 8 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Core Support some more:

Lastly, I smooth out the rough uneven edges to all the sandwiched together sheets of metal (pay no attention to my bird poop welding, I'm still a noob there)

Before:
IMG_4865.JPG

IMG_4867.JPG

After:
IMG_4875.JPG

IMG_4876.JPG

Just that little bit of metal removal made it look sooo much better.

Using a metal gauge I got with the welder, the sheet on the Core Support was too thick for the 24ga slot, but a little loose in the 22ga. I had a hard time with this. I was blowing through the metal like I was shooting 9mm at the range. The patch pieces were from a scrap sheet of 22ga and did fine, but the orig metal right next to it would blow through every 4th or 5th spot weld. I was very frustrated by the end, but I did get through it.

I did all the tricks with spacing my tacks and cooling the piece with an air nozzle, but nothing would keep the blow throughs from happening.
Thin metal and my lack of practice was a BAD combo :rolleyes:

Hutch

Reactions: 7 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Scored this great pair of 81-83 Cutlass Tail Lights!!
IMG_4930.JPG

IMG_4931.JPG

The only thing I don't like is the DOT writing the factory puts on them in the mold. This got me thinking.....

Reactions: 5 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Scored this great pair of 81-83 Cutlass Tail Lights!!
View attachment 177797
View attachment 177798

The only thing I don't like is the DOT writing the factory puts on them in the mold. This got me thinking.....

Wet sand those off and polish them back up to perfection. You’ll be happy you did. I’ve been doing that to all mine for years now.

• Agree
  • Clever
Reactions: 4 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Wet sand those off and polish them back up to perfection. You’ll be happy you did. I’ve been doing that to all mine for years now.
You read my mind. I actually JUST did that very thing. It's late, so I'll post the pics tomorrow.

Hutch

Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor