BUILD THREAD 1987 Olds 442 Project Build

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Well, then white it is! If it works for you, go for it.

I just know how much of a PITA is it to keep the brake dust off the Brembo lettering on the ZL1 calipers. :)

Reactions: 1 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
It's been a while :mad: Here's an update!

I installed the entire brake system.

I started with the rear Hard Lines and Calipers from the F**D Motorsport Kit
IMG_4799.JPG
IMG_4800.JPG
IMG_4809.JPG
IMG_4810.JPG
IMG_4815.JPG

Continued in next post...

Reactions: 5 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Next were the Front C5 Calipers

This conversion kit came from UMI Performance. They list out all the additional GM parts needed to complete the install. Part of that list was Front Caliper Hoses for the C5 Vette. Don't get them. Buy a set of replacement G-Body Hoses.

The C5 Vette uses ISO (or Bubble) flares. They're not compatible with the Double Flare on our cars.

ISO - C5

IMG_4817.JPG

Double Flare - G-Body
IMG_4818.JPG

With that done, I install the new hardware on the brackets and calipers and install them.
IMG_4821.JPG

IMG_4822.JPG

IMG_4824.JPG

IMG_4825.JPG

Continued...

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
On to the Booster and Master Cylinder.
IMG_4828.JPG

IMG_4827.JPG

Since the entire system is dry, I added DOT 3 to the master and let gravity do the job for me.
IMG_4836.JPG

I picked up some 1/4" ID hose from the hardware store and cut it into 4 pieces for all 4 corners. I used plastic bottles with a 3/8 hole drilled in the top to feed the hose in. That held the hose snug. I cracked open all 4 bleed screws and went to lunch. I check in every 15 min to make sure the fluid level stayed up in the MC.
IMG_4833.JPG

IMG_4832.JPG

Within an hour I had fluid flowing out of the fronts. The backs were dry for hours and hours, so I decided to give them a hand. Vacuum hand pump that is. I used the brake bleed attachment to pull 15" for a little bit, then I heard the rush of fluid through the body line. I took the pump back off and put the line back in the bottle. In 30 min I had fluid flowing out the rear calipers.
IMG_4839.JPG

Once all 4 corners were flowing fluid pretty well, I closed all the bleeder screws and let it sit for the rest of the night. I checked for leaks in the morning.

Continued...

Reactions: 6 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I found all 4 calipers were leaking at the banjo bolts as well as a few hard brake lines. The lines were no big deal, I even expected it a little. I purposely try not to tighten flared lines too tight for fear of crushing the double flare. I find the leaking lines and loosen and tighten them (a little tighter each time) until the leak stops. The C5 front calipers just needed to be tightened to the correct 30 lb ft of torque.

The rear Explorer calipers were more of a pain. They take 22 lb ft. (which I did), so I loosened them up and torqued again 3 times. Still leaked. I snugged the banjo bolt and then turned the hose block with a wrench back and forth to try and seat the copper washers. The leak was less, but still there. I loosened and torqued to 24 and then loosened and torqued to 26. That did it.

With the leaks addressed, I pumped the brake pedal several times and then stood on it for a solid minute. Checked again and no leaks. Now I can bleed all 4 corners.

This isn't done for me (the leaks) until a test drive with everything heated up and another check of every connection, but as you can see, that won't be for a while.

Looks nice though ;)
IMG_4830.JPG

IMG_4831.JPG

IMG_4847.JPG

Hutch

• Love
Reactions: 12 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Nice progress Hutch.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I hate machine shop jail.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Damn, looks nice!
Thank you! It's an odd mix seeing the sano frame and suspension in contrast to the desperate need for TLC on the body. I'm still on the fence about whether I'll do the body work and paint myself or send it to a shop. Finances may make that decision for me.

Hutch

Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor