BUILD THREAD 1987 Olds 442 Project Build

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
Hutch I really appreciate the information you supply to the site, I’m going to rebuild my 87 442 so I love seeing your videos along with all the amazing knowledge of other members here. I’m going to try to contribute as much as I can however I feel I’ll be getting more from the site then I can give. I just paid an arm and a leg for some of the interior trim plates due to someone changing them with the wood trim for an 86. 442. In the 20 years I didn’t own it. But I got it back and going to have fun bringing it back to glory.
Very nice I love the older look.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Looks good, although, JMO- I'd lose the shadows on the rocket for symmetry.
That's so funny. After I posted the pic I thought the same thing. The shade of red is a little lighter too, so I'll darken that as well.

Hutch

Reactions: 1 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Sooo..my weekend was interrupted by family time (good prob to have). Here's a quick pic I took of the Accessible Systems Rotisserie all broken down.
View attachment 74054

I did get a chance to take apart my spindles that have been sitting in a bag with calipers and rotors still on them.

I cleaned them up and then took my cutting wheel to them.
View attachment 74055
I did this...
View attachment 74058

To get rid of this...
View attachment 74060

So I can put on that...
View attachment 74061

Huge difference!
View attachment 74062

More later.

Hutch
Using the UMI kit, did you secure the abutment adapter brackets using the original splah shield holes or did you drill/tap them for larger hardware?

Attachments

• IMG_4211 left.jpg
    IMG_4211 left.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 83

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Using the UMI kit, did you secure the abutment adapter brackets using the original splah shield holes or did you drill/tap them for larger hardware?
I used the splash shield bolt holes like the kit is designed for.

Hutch

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I used the splash shield bolt holes like the kit is designed for.

Hutch
Thanks.

I went to UMI's site last night. There wasn't any specific info regarding hardware sizes for the kit but the images indicate what appears to be different sizes. I wanted to clarify if drilling out & tapping the M8 splash shield holes for larger hardware was required or if the kit simply used 10.9 Grade M8 + M12 bolts (adapter bracket to existing spindle holes/M8; caliper abutment bracket to adapter/M12) .

Last edited:

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I went to UMI's site last night. There wasn't any specific info regarding hardware sizes for the kit but the images indicate what appears to be different sizes. I wanted to clarify if drilling out & tapping the M8 splash shield holes for larger hardware was required or if the kit simply used 10.9 Grade M8 + M12 bolts (adapter bracket to existing spindle holes/M8; caliper abutment bracket to adapter/M12) .
The kit (except for cutting the spindle ears off) is completely bolt on.

It comes with hardware to use the existing threaded holes, both spindle and caliper.. My kit was the C5 kit ( I wanted to have a 17 inch wheel option in the future if I chose ).

Below is the video I made going over everything in the kit and my prep to put it on.

Hutch

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor