1987 Olds 5.3L LS turbo swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
I ended up working yesterday trying to make up some extra money. I did manage to get some stuff done today though. I got my bars mounted for the seat and got the main hoop and harness bar tacked in. Going to try and hit it hard this week.

20190106_184833.jpg
20190106_184756.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

BoostedJROD

Apprentice
Jan 9, 2019
Looking good 👍
Question...Pre-bent cage? If so... Brand? (My apologies if this was mentioned already)

Also, small suggestion for the seat mount bars....at minimum, weld atleast an 1/8 thick (6" x 6" if u can) square plate to the floor first, then weld the seat bars to that. Other wise in the event you need to rely on that cage, the seat bars will rip out of the thin sheet metal floor. Harnesses are no good if the seat they strap you into is bouncing around like a pinball 😉

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
Looking good 👍
Question...Pre-bent cage? If so... Brand? (My apologies if this was mentioned already)

Also, small suggestion for the seat mount bars....at minimum, weld atleast an 1/8 thick (6" x 6" if u can) square plate to the floor first, then weld the seat bars to that. Other wise in the event you need to rely on that cage, the seat bars will rip out of the thin sheet metal floor. Harnesses are no good if the seat they strap you into is bouncing around like a pinball 😉

Yep pre bent 10pt from S&W racecars.

I've been thinking about that seat bar situation. I think I'm going to cut the tacks and put plates in. I had seen a few posts where they plated the floor. But yes your logic about the seat being s pinball would be a possibility under the right circumstances and I dont care to experience it lol

Reactions: 1 user

BoostedJROD

Apprentice
Jan 9, 2019
Cool man. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Yea, I wouldn't want to see you or anyone have to experience that Lol.

Another tip if you don't know already...drill an 1/8" hole at the end of whatever tube you're welding. This gives the gases that heat up and expand in side the tube as you're welding, a place to escape through and prevents it from contaminating your weld puddle and making it porous. When you're all done tac the hole closed

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
Cool man. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Yea, I wouldn't want to see you or anyone have to experience that Lol.

Another tip if you don't know already...drill an 1/8" hole at the end of whatever tube you're welding. This gives the gases that heat up and expand in side the tube as you're welding, a place to escape through and prevents it from contaminating your weld puddle and making it porous. When you're all done tac the hole closed

I had read about that online and I'm planning to do it. Lol.

Definitely give a detailed install report on the cage if you can. This is on my to do list.

Looking good so far!

I will try my best lol. Trying to learn as I go and documenting what I can for you guys lol.

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
Okay guys, got the cage in over the past weekend. Got to finish up final welding and probably have to add a few gussets in some places but all in all it turned out good I think. By no means is this cage perfect, I lacked the equipment and skill to make it perfect but it should serve its purpose if the time comes and will help stiffen the body tremendously.

If any one is wondering, no the doors dont close yet lol. I'm going to have to trim the panels or remove them and swap in some aluminum skins which I planned to regardless. But since they aren't bent door bars you will have this problem and it was expected. The doors do clear the windshield runners though. Finally welding will be done this weekend then I can piece the floor back together and get it painted.

20190127_161203.jpg

20190127_161154.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor