1987 Olds Pro-touring project build - Now with paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 1987 Olds Pro-touring project build *LONG*

dogshit said:
I think the wheels look t*ts. :mrgreen: If I had another Cutty I would do the same only in an 18 in part because of what tires are available. Haven't seen any 19s or larger that don't spin like you are on black ice at the first hint of some torque. Plugs may say gas fowled but bearning eyes is actually too lean.

You sure about that? If you had you face near the exhaust with my 355 it would burn the hell outta your eyes. Lotsa overlap means fuel getting spit out the exhaust at idle. Plus if you have plugs that are fouled, then they aren't firing the exhaust is gonna be real rich.

Was just thinking once we put a carb on that was way too lean and when you were under the hood it would burn your eyes. I thought it was too rich and it actually was because it was way lean. No disagreement about the plugs & tailpipes.

Baby got a new hat!!

DSC_00012.jpg

Figured I wouldn't waste the nice weather we had this weekend, plus it got the donor roof out of my way. 30 spot welds in the front and 35 in the rear. Not to mention the sides 8)

Awesome man! Amazing how just having the roof back on the car makes it look almost "finished". Very cool!

I'll try and bring that welding blanket I have down this Friday after work so you can use it on your different projects in the barn. I definitely don't need it for anything at the moment.

Alright, alright, alright...Theres somethings wrong here and some things you need to know...

A.) IM GOING TO STEAL THE CAR, JUST AS SOON AS ITS DONE.
B.) THE ONLY WAY IT COULD BE ANY BETTER, IS IF IT WAS MY REGAL; WITH A COMPLETE SPOHN SUSPENSION + A BUICK 455 ROLLER MOTOR (all forged of course) pushing out about 475 rwhp>>>>I guess I'll have to build my own.
and
3rd.) You mean to tell me you are good enough to handle everthing else on the car except some silly little wood grain?

Look, we all know this is super cheap, thin veneer that you can tear through with one pass of some paper...but why not pull the pieces. Take some 800 + grit wet/dry and be real gentle with it. Get down past that bit of shine to where you can restain the pieces the same shade. Now, I know this is the hard, long, complicated way...but hey...lets not sale out now and go the easy route...Why leave that little something on the car...especially when its obvious that you've been talented enough to do all the rest and this job as well.

Okay, so suppose the actual grain of the wood isn't the same. Well if you want a quality wood grain look and something no one else has...here is a secret.

Guitar Luthiers (builders) work with veneer all the time. They can get countless different species both simulated and real, and they know all the little tricks to get it whatever color you may want. Also, look for a Professional cue (pool stick) builder in your area...they have the same experience and can probably get you the supplies you need or tell you the tips to do it.

Or if you really want to go with the Banjo wheel, then replace all the interior wood trim with brushed alluminum....Thats my plan...dont steal it.

But seirously if you go that extra step its one more stamp of custom you can put your name on...and it would give you a piece of the car to work on while your body gets to have all the fun with the rest of the car.

You know...on second thought...I may just take what you've done with the Cutty and go the old Trans Am racing route. That would be late 60s early 70s T/A of course.

*Notch it
*Drop it
*Full Adjustable Suspension
*All sheet metal interior.
*Cut weight and stiffen her up at the same time

Who knows...maybe I could compete with "Big Red"....bahaha (in my dreams)

*Edit: on third thought....if I did that, people may mistake it for some kinda Nascar inspired Circle Track/Street car. I cant do that man. :blam: I like to turn Left and Right....Im not Zoolander.

By the way...I full expect the Cutty to run like this (really better) when its done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq3hqtfIUEA

FE3X CLONE said:
IMG_1376.jpg

Picture of my Hot Rod Air aftermarket evaporator and my "custom" defrost vents:

very clean build but i was wondering what kind of gages are those and where did you get them id love to have them in my 84 cutlass

84cutlassjuggalo said:
very clean build but i was wondering what kind of gages are those and where did you get them id love to have them in my 84 cutlass

Thanks. Those guages are Classic Instruments All American Nickel series gauges.

http://www.classicinstruments.com

nice looking gauges but the link doesn't work for me... 😢

Whoops, I spelled classic wrong. It's fixed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor