1987 Olds Pro-touring project build - Now with paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 1987 Olds Pro-touring project build *LONG*

81cutlass said:
Was your megasquirt kit a you solder the computer board together or was it pre assembled?

Well, it wasn't preassembled however I wasn't the one that assembled it. An electrical engineer friend of mine was building one for his Olds so he built mine at the same time.

I did build the wiring harness for the engine and the harness from the computer to the relay board.

If I do keep the MS Kit I need to double check my IAC wiring. I have a suspicion that I have it wired backwards. My last issues I had (besides fouling the spark plugs out) was that I had an inconsistent idle between cold and warm idles. If I adjusted the idle to around 800-900rpm while cold, it would be 1500rpm once the engine warmed up. However if I backed the idle back off so that it idled well when warmed up, it wouldn't start cold.

So there's definitely some tuning to do with the IAC to get it functioning correctly.

sounds like a pain to tune but itll be worth it after you get it all down i think.

drew ive been checking out fe3x stuff and i was wondering for your body kit you used laureneng.com what kit do you have? i like how the long piece that goes under the door between the wheel wells are, is that kit LEX-1-HO or LEX-1-A-HO thanks. i know the front, rear valance and flares are fe3x kit parts.

heres the link to laureneng so you dont have to go to the troubles of finding it yourself, thanks!
http://www.laureneng.com/1244825.html

I have been reading your thread as a guest for the longest time! I can't wait to see what this year has in store for you! Keep the updates coming!

youngdeezy said:
drew ive been checking out fe3x stuff and i was wondering for your body kit you used laureneng.com what kit do you have? i like how the long piece that goes under the door between the wheel wells are, is that kit LEX-1-HO or LEX-1-A-HO thanks. i know the front, rear valance and flares are fe3x kit parts.

heres the link to laureneng so you dont have to go to the troubles of finding it yourself, thanks!
http://www.laureneng.com/1244825.html

The rocker pieces were the LEX-2-HO kit. I sold those a long time ago. Just didn't like the way they looked and with the amount of modification they were going to need to fit the car, I just figured it would be easier to make my own from scratch anyway.

How are you fastening the ground effects to the car? Clips, screws, double sided tape?

liquidh8 said:
How are you fastening the ground effects to the car? Clips, screws, double sided tape?

The front and rear kit is pretty easy. We are planning to fiberglass fasteners to the backside of the pieces and drilling holes through the fender/quarter panels and using nuts to secure them along with metal tabs along the bumper that will bolt to the original holes holding the chrome decorative piece to the bumper support.

For the rockers, those will be bolted on as well with hidden fasteners. The friend I have working on this just finished installing an '88 Hurst Aero kit on another friend of mine's car and he did a wonderful job at coming up with a hidden mounting system.

The biggest issue with the front and rear pieces is providing them some movement so that when the car is jacked up, it doesn't end up cracking anything.

That's a good, something similar I was thinking for mine. Though I am not sure if I wanna do a stud/bolt for the door fillers. I may just use some double sided tappe for those, they are small. The fenders and rockers will be a combo of studs and double sides tape.

Was messing around with paint ideas. I love all black cars but really want something a little bit different.

So I was thinking about doing something like the '80 W-30 paint scheme:

21078120011_large.jpg

Although I'm looking for a gold that's not so brownish in color and to clean up the look a bit by not having all the extra pin striping, body side molding and chrome trim.
I'm also considering the Forgeline T/A wheels down the road. Granted the car isn't a T/A but I've always liked the "lace" style wheels so why not go with a reproduction of a wheel that was on an American car?

Did a quick Photoshop image of Angleo's FE3X to see how the paint scheme might work.

fe3xGOLD-wheels.jpg

I'm still thinking the gold may go even darker. I was actually thinking about making it more of a "black gold" that looks gold in direct sunlight but black just about any other time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor