1987 Olds Pro-touring project build - Now with paint

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Re: 1987 Olds Pro-touring project build *LONG*

Great job! Very impressed with the car & your build & theme if you will. I like pump gas pro tour builds & the Olds theme, engine build, and the willingness to deviate from original without defiling Olds or the 442 in fact improving on it. Love the black dash, aftermarket guages, wheels, spoiler, AC, oh and the fender core supports are absolutely bad arse. They command a smile when you crack the hood all by themselves. (And I thought I did good with the GP braces haha) Also Love the indigo blue pearl! Mine ended up a little lighter. It did not look as light as in the pictures on this site as the sun affected those pics. I don't know if you are considering the silver bottom and 442 stripes but I did with a metal flake in the silver and a deep looking good gloss and the combination turned out great. I got lots of compliments on the colors and only wish that the blue had came out as the color you referenced.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

Thanks Vern. I'm hoping it will run on pump gas but it might need more than 93 octane. I've just been using pump gas for the moment since there's really no load on it.

Driveshaft should be here tomorrow!

Are you saying you used the Indigo Ink Pearl on your car and it turned out too light?

What color sealer did you use under it?

gto78

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2010
Port St Lucie, Florida

Wow, beautiful design, that's definitely original. I can't wait to see the final results, definitely a show car/real race car.

I read and hear stories every day about people who have a "Build" that they're "Planning to do" and 99% of the time they're full of crap. Your in the 1% of those who actually do what they say they're gonna do, that car is bad *ss.

How many hours a week do you spend on it? It looks kinda like a full time build. I spend probably 10 hours a week after work just rewiring and doing little things to restore my Grand Am, and it doesn't really show. Your project really shows a lot of work, and expensive parts too.

Nice job

JOE

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH

No I used another Blue that was a little lighter than the indigo but darker than what it looks in the pics on this site. Tight quench, aluminum head heat dissipation, polished chambers, appropriate cam grind with static quench in mind, it should work at least with decent air. At worst probably pull some timing if you are somewhere in stop N go traffic on a salty day. Before I went to methanol/water injection in the GN I used to mix Xylene with a little Marvels mystery oil into my gas for up to 100 octane mix when I wanted to turn up the boost. Its not as good as race gas but it worked for my needs and didn't kill 02 sensors or clog up cat converter.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

gto78 said:
Wow, beautiful design, that's definitely original. I can't wait to see the final results, definitely a show car/real race car.

I read and hear stories every day about people who have a "Build" that they're "Planning to do" and 99% of the time they're full of crap. Your in the 1% of those who actually do what they say they're gonna do, that car is bad *ss.

How many hours a week do you spend on it? It looks kinda like a full time build. I spend probably 10 hours a week after work just rewiring and doing little things to restore my Grand Am, and it doesn't really show. Your project really shows a lot of work, and expensive parts too.

Nice job

JOE

Thanks.

Typically I would work on it during the weekends or afterwork if I felt motivated. However I've been unemployed since June so I've had a lot of extra time to get caught up on things I've been meaning to do. It was at a friends house for probably 4 years where we originally pulled the body and did all the frame notching, etc. But since its been back at my place for the last 2-3 years I've been able to get more done considering the car was just a few feet away rather than 50 miles.

Of course now with it being winter, things have slowed down again. I went out to the barn today around 2:30pm and the temp was around 28-30* with a little sun. Not too bad, although my air tools don't like being that cold. I was out there for an hour or so until I noticed my toes were numb. Went up to the house and saw the temps had dropped to 18*.

That pretty much killed the rest of the day. :(

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

dogshit said:
No I used another Blue that was a little lighter than the indigo but darker than what it looks in the pics on this site. Tight quench, aluminum head heat dissipation, polished chambers, appropriate cam grind with static quench in mind, it should work at least with decent air. At worst probably pull some timing if your are somewhere in stop N go traffic on a salty day. Before I went to methanol/water injection in the GN I used to mix Xylene with a little Marvels mystery oil into my gas for up to 100 octane mix when I wanted to turn up the boost. Its not as good as race gas but it worked for my needs and didn't kill 02 sensors or clog up cat converter.

Yeah, I'm hoping with that plus the EFI that it will help. I could install a knock sensor and have the computer pull timing out but I know knock sensors can be pretty finicky with different engines so I decided not to use one right now. I believe there's a place over in Beavercreek called Duncan Oil that sells high octane unleaded race fuel. I may stop by there to see if I can buy a few gallons to use just in case.

My only concern is that with the camshaft I have, I don't know if its going to bleed off enough cylinder pressure to run pump gas. As soon as I get things back together I want to do a compression test to see where I'm at as far as cylinder pressure goes. I'm thinking the 114LS is going to hurt me a bit.

MrHernandez

G-Body Guru
May 25, 2009
Jackson,TN

I must say, this is the most beautiful GBody I've ever seen....and it's not even done yet!!! :shock:

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH

I am no cam guru and know even less about rollers but 114LS should make for a very smooth tractable driver. (relative to the rest of the lift & duration) I don't like a short LS on a driver the choppy all on all off tendencys make em cool to listen to but hell to drive nice when you want or need to. I think the 4.30 gear may also help with the cam as its hard to load a 468 long stroke Olds hard with that gear other than at wot.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

Well, interestingly enough this cam has a very choppy idle. I was actually surprised considering the wide lobe separation. I had always thought you needed a tighter LS to get that kind of idle but I was talking with Dave Worthington about it and he said the choppiness of a cam come more from the amount of duration and compression the engine has.

The engine pulls around 18" of vacuum which was amazing to me as well with such large camshaft. I was told that was the beauty of a roller.

We'll see how well she does once I get it on the road and can test it some. I may find too that I don't like the 4.30 gear. I went with it to keep the my rpm's up in 6th gear because I was afraid the engine might not like to cruise in the 1200-1500 range. But it migh turn out that it does just fine and I could drop the gear ratio down.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

Found these pictures of the engine internals:

Pistons and rods:

IMG_0188.jpg

Heads after polishing the chambers and exhaust runners with a few pics of the stud girdles:

IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0182.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

Roller cam and associated parts:

IMG_0914.jpg

Block cam/lifter valley after a lot of grinding and polishing:

IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor