1987 Olds Pro-touring project build - Now with paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad to see it finally got some paint. Looks great!

Re: 1987 Olds Pro-touring project build *LONG*

FE3X CLONE said:
Well, after 10 years the Olds finally has paint again! 🙂

6 coats of black so far. Next it needs to get wet sanded and then it'll get sprayed with 8 coats of clear and wet sanded again.

Looks badass man...
You're getting closer and closer now..., can hardly wait to see it with the gold stripes on it.

FE3X CLONE said:
Snapped a few pictures of the fender to core support braces I made up:

DSCN0183.jpg

DSCN0187.jpg

And a picture of my lower radiator I welded together out of 1.75" exhaust tubing and then powder coated satin black:

DSCN0188.jpg

those core support braces look like belt tensioners for a diesel engine .. is that right?

FE3X CLONE said:
Also realized I didn't have much listed on the interior.

Dash is all stock except for the gauges. Front buckets are Procar Rally 1000 seats which are really comfortable and supportive as well. Rear seat is just the stock bench recovered in black vinyl to match the front buckets.

Picture of the front and rear seats:

Seats-01-1.jpg

Stereo system:

Stock UM6 tape deck. I opened it up and spliced into the wiring running between the tape deck and the amplifier then added a headphone jack. My tape deck has been broken for years but the radio worked fine other than that. So now with the headphone jack, I can plug in an MP3 player and if your listing to the radio, it will override the radio like the tape deck would if you inserted a tape. It allowed me to keep the look of the stock radio but have the much better sound quality of a new radio.

hey dude did u make those door speaker panels?
Front speakers:

JL Audio 6.5" woofer (1 per door)
MB Quart 4" mid-base (1 per door)
Pioneer 1" tweeter (1 per door)

Rear speakers:

MB Quart 5.25" biaxial (1 per door)

Subwoofer:

Kenwood 12"single voice coil 1200w peak

Amps:

(2) JBL P80.2 2 channel amp for front and rear speakers
(1) JBL P600.1 mono amplifier

I was originally going to use two 12" subs but after hooking all these up and testing it, one is enough for me. This system is by far the loudest and cleanest sounding I've ever had!

Picture of the trunk. Haven't finished upholstering yet.

IMG_1408.jpg

Picture of the door speakers:

Doorpanel.jpg

roachownsu said:
those core support braces look like belt tensioners for a diesel engine .. is that right?

No, I just bought the tubes from Speedway Motors and then added the rod ends to them. I believe in their catalog they are listed as a drag link or some form of steering piece for hot rods.

I ended up taking them off because I didn't like them and couldn't get the hood to close with them on there. They were just an experiment anyway.

As for the door speakers I did not make that enclosure. I bought it like that from a guy that built it for his Regal but was then upgrading and building a new one.

So we pushed the car out into the sunlight today and it's hard to even look at it in direct sunlight because of all the glare. Overall it looks really straight. There are a few places on the doors where you can see just a slight ripple but nothing that's too hateful. We were all walking around the car looking at our reflection to see if you could see any distortion and other than some slight orange peel it's pretty much like looking in a mirror.

Was able to talk to my neighbor first hand and found out that I was wrong about what's been done so far. As you see it in the above pics it has 6 coats of color and the 8 coats of clear but has yet to be wet sanded. I had misunderstood what was originally done.

So it's actually even closer to being finished than I thought. Just needs wet sanded and then cut and buffed. 🙂

Looking good, man .That's some depth in the paint. 8) I'm sure after 10 yrs of being off the road, I'm sure you're anxious to put it back together and start tooling around in it.

FE3X CLONE said:
Finished dying my plastic wheel wells and making a mount for the ECU, O2 controller and all of the wiring harness relays.

Powder coated the hood hinges and then installed everything onto the fenders with brand new hardware. Getting ready to reinstall:

how do u dye the plastic wheel wells? and what do u use to dte it with..im intrested in dooing this to my cutlass aswell..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor