1987 Olds Pro-touring project build - Now with paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 1987 Olds Pro-touring project build *LONG*

Doober said:
Comin' up on 4 years now... lookin' good 🙂

Since I've been on this board. 😉 I've been without the car now for over 10 years working on it just to get to this stage. 🙁

Finished dying my plastic wheel wells and making a mount for the ECU, O2 controller and all of the wiring harness relays.

Powder coated the hood hinges and then installed everything onto the fenders with brand new hardware. Getting ready to reinstall:

I guess technically I didn't dye them but painted them. In the past I've used the Duplicolor vinyl and fabric dye with good results but all they had at Auto zone was gloss black. Wanted something more like a satin and found it in the Rustoleum line but it was labeled as a paint. Seemed to work fine but it seemed to be quite a bit thicker than the Duplicolor stuff so you really had to watch it or you'd get runs.

Paint is getting closer. Spent the last couple of days helping my neighbor align the body panels. Today we installed the hood and got it close. Could still use a little tweaking but it's close enough for now. Tomorrow we drill the body for the fiberglass rocker pieces and after that, everything should be ready for final paint. 🙂

FE3X CLONE said:
Paint is getting closer. Spent the last couple of days helping my neighbor align the body panels. Today we installed the hood and got it close. Could still use a little tweaking but it's close enough for now. Tomorrow we drill the body for the fiberglass rocker pieces and after that, everything should be ready for final paint. 🙂

😀

Well, after 10 years the Olds finally has paint again! 🙂

6 coats of black so far. Next it needs to get wet sanded and then it'll get sprayed with 8 coats of clear and wet sanded again.

Looks like the light at end of the tunnel is shiny black!

Immaculate!!! I want my car to grow up to be just like yours. :notworthy:
Not black though. I want a dark grey.

That looks great, alot of man hours must have been put into making that body as straight as it looks.... 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor