1987 Olds Pro-touring project build - Now with paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys. It's nice to finally have the outside looking like I've actually done something to the car. 🙂

Went down to the neighbors last night to try polishing one of my rims with some mag wheel polish just to see if that would work with some of the blemishes or if I'd have to break out the buffer and compounds.

Opened the door and found this:

Wet sanded with 1000 grit so far. Supposed to go to 2000 grit today.

Re: 1987 Olds Pro-touring project build *LONG*

roachownsu said:
how do u dye the plastic wheel wells? and what do u use to dte it with..im intrested in dooing this to my cutlass aswell..

I clean them with some Wesley's Bleach White, spray them off and let them dry. They I use a wax/grease remover and wipe them down. They spray with either a vinyl and fabric dye or use a paint made for plastic.

In those pics I used a Rustoleum plastic paint but in the past I have used Duplicolor vinyl and fabric dye. Both worked decent. The plastic paint has a bit more tendency to go on thick and want to run so you have to be careful.

FE3X CLONE said:
Thanks guys. It's nice to finally have the outside looking like I've actually done something to the car. 🙂

Went down to the neighbors last night to try polishing one of my rims with some mag wheel polish just to see if that would work with some of the blemishes or if I'd have to break out the buffer and compounds.

Opened the door and found this:

Wet sanded with 1000 grit so far. Supposed to go to 2000 grit today.

Looks like a great job cant wait to see the finale finish and now i see where the holes for SS wing are close to the edge nice Job FE3X CLONE

Picked up my taillights from a friend. He tinted them for me using some automotive clear coat that he mixes a little black base coat with the clear. He also did a little custom mod and sanded off the raised DOT lettering on the lenses.

Neighbor also buffed out the driver's 1/4 and roof the other day. Hard to believe it could get any shinier but it did. There was actually quite a few specs of dirt in the clear. Kind of the nature of painting in a garage and not a dedicated paint booth but all of those spots have buffed out.

I'm hoping that when I get the glass and interior in the car it starts to lower it some. I have the QA1 front coilovers adjusted to their lowest setting along with the SC&C stage II suspension kit and it's still sitting way high. Not sure what the deal is. The rear is higher than I would like too but that's just a matter of cutting the springs a little more.

FE3X CLONE said:
I'm hoping that when I get the glass and interior in the car it starts to lower it some. I have the QA1 front coilovers adjusted to their lowest setting along with the SC&C stage II suspension kit and it's still sitting way high. Not sure what the deal is. The rear is higher than I would like too but that's just a matter of cutting the springs a little more.

When I put all new suspension in my Regal took a couple weeks and some road time for it to settle in to the correct ride height. Everytime I jacked it up it would stay higher until it had couple days of driving on it.

Car is looking good. Be careful with the tinted taillights. Make sure the bulbs shine well even in daylight. Some officers are A-holes about them...

Re: 1987 Olds Pro-touring project build *LONG*

FE3X CLONE said:
Finished dying my plastic wheel wells and making a mount for the ECU, O2 controller and all of the wiring harness relays.

Do you have close ups of the mount you made for the overflow. I made a similar mount for mine, but yours is a lot nicer looking.

Your car is coming along great... I just got mine back on road this year after 12yrs in the garage.

I'll try getting closer pics this weekend. I pulled the overflow tank and other brackets off the wheel wells to keep them from getting dirty.

I've tested the tinted lights and what's nice with them being tinted as opposed to having a tinted cover over them is that the light output is much better. Plus with the LED bulbs are colored to match the lens color which helps but they are still going to need some help. The ones I have right now only have a 72 lumen output with 18 LEDs. A stock 1157 incandescent bulb is around 400 lumens.
They light up okay but the lights look a little dim. I've found some bulbs with 60 LEDs and are rated at 400-420 lumens that I am going to try. Those should give me plenty of output through the tint.

i meant to ask you about your front bumper..just curious on why does it look like that? is it for the aftermarket front bumper wrap?

roachownsu said:
i meant to ask you about your front bumper..just curious on why does it look like that? is it for the aftermarket front bumper wrap?

Yeah. I cut out the majority of the front bumper for clearance. I also wanted my turn signals to be flush with the fiberglass front piece so I cut the original mounting tabs from the bumper and will fiberglass them to the front fascia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor