1987 Olds Pro-touring project build - Now with paint

Status
Not open for further replies.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Just got back from the dyno about an hour ago and the car put down 333.8HP and 365ftlbs.

The guy warned me his dyno was very conservative. He said he's compared the same vehicles on his dyno to a Dyno jet and his is right at 18% lower. If that's "really" the case the HP is closer to 394HP.

The nice thing about the torque curve though is that it peaks right around 3600rpm and stays flat until 4800rpm when it starts to drop back off. HP peaked at 5400rpm.

It was a rough day though. Find out that my electric fans weren't turning on but I think that could just be a fuse. Then the alternator wasn't charging so we had to temporarily rewire it to make it work and it still seems hit or miss for some reason. And to top it all off, it appears my wideband O2 controller may be defective. The O2 readings were all over the place. We ordered a new O2 and that had the same problem so now I have to send the controller back to Accel to have them check it.
We had to use the chassis dyno's wideband and then went about tuning in open loop. Right now the car runs completely without an O2 based on Mark's fuel and AF ratio maps. Once I get the O2 figured out it should smooth out even more.

The upside though is that everything held together!

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Going to fin is the rest of the car and get it to a drag strip next spring. That will help confirm or disprove what the dyno said.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Sounds pretty stout Congrats!! :mrgreen:

• Creative
Reactions: 1 user

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Sounds killer! :banana:

There was an article in Hot Rod or Car Craft a few years ago and they hit like 5 different dyno shops with the same car and compared the numbers from the different machines. Pretty surprising.

Keep up the good work!

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
Anubis said:
Much lower numbers than what your build is capable of. What are next steps?

Ditto. Sound good though!

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Thanks guys.

FWIW, that video is without any mufflers on the car. It was just open headers into the X-pipe. It'll get quieter but I'm looking doing away with the Spintech mufflers. They really don't seem that much different sound wise from open headers. :( Trying to tone it down some.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I just have a universal X-pipe kit from Summit Racing that I made fit. At the time I don't think Pypes was making a 3" X-pipe for the Gbody. Or at least I had trouble finding one so I just built my exhaust from scratch.
I need to redo it now that I have a TIG welder to make things look nicer.

I don't really know if there are any differences between Dr. Gas or Pypes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor