1987 Olds Pro-touring project build - Now with paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 1987 Olds Pro-touring project build *LONG*

84cutlassjuggalo said:
how does thier shipping and buyig work ecasue i found these gages that would look nice in my cutlass http://www.classicinstruments.com/index ... omgaugeset

For their over the counter stuff you can just buy directly off their website, or call them directly.

The one's you posted are custom gauges, which means you'll probably have to call them to order. See they do more than just sell premade gauges like Autometer and other companies out there. They will actually custom make gauges, restore originals with modern internals, etc. But I can tell you it will get expensive really quick!

I think my 3 gauge off the shelf set was close to $600. I asked about having a separate oil temp gauge made to match my gauges and they quoted me $300 at the time.

They can also take gauges from other manufacturer's and get them to match theirs a lot of the time. Say you have an Air/Fuel ratio gauge from Autometer but are running a Tach/Speedo, etc from Classic Instruments. They can take the Air/Fuel ratio gauge and modify it so that it matches with their gauges.

The depth of your wallet is really the only limit with these guys. 😉

wow thats alot for gages :shock: i knerw it would be alot but thats like a full pay check and then some haha but ill keep them in mind becasue thoes seem to look really nice as well as all of their products

Yeah. That's why I bought mine all in stages. The tach one month, speedo another, quad gauge another, etc. 🙂

FE3X CLONE said:
84cutlassjuggalo said:
how does thier shipping and buyig work ecasue i found these gages that would look nice in my cutlass http://www.classicinstruments.com/index ... omgaugeset

For their over the counter stuff you can just buy directly off their website, or call them directly.

The one's you posted are custom gauges, which means you'll probably have to call them to order. See they do more than just sell premade gauges like Autometer and other companies out there. They will actually custom make gauges, restore originals with modern internals, etc. But I can tell you it will get expensive really quick!

I think my 3 gauge off the shelf set was close to $600. I asked about having a separate oil temp gauge made to match my gauges and they quoted me $300 at the time.

They can also take gauges from other manufacturer's and get them to match theirs a lot of the time. Say you have an Air/Fuel ratio gauge from Autometer but are running a Tach/Speedo, etc from Classic Instruments. They can take the Air/Fuel ratio gauge and modify it so that it matches with their gauges.

The depth of your wallet is really the only limit with these guys. 😉

They're based in Michigan too 8)

More pictures!!

I need my fix.

Keep up the good work!

I won't be having many updates for a while now. 🙁 Car is at my friends house for the winter. I think he'll probably tinker with it some here and there but it's too cold here now for body work (body filler, paint, etc.)

I joined this forum today looking for some information on using the T-56 with the big block Olds motor. I read the entire post and didnt find much on it. Where did you get the parts and about how much would youve spent in just this general area so far? I already have a running driving pro street car with a TH-400 in it now but I have a T-56 from a 1995 Camaro sitting in my basement and I have been thinking about throwing it in the car.

Ohurl said:
I joined this forum today looking for some information on using the T-56 with the big block Olds motor. I read the entire post and didnt find much on it. Where did you get the parts and about how much would youve spent in just this general area so far? I already have a running driving pro street car with a TH-400 in it now but I have a T-56 from a 1995 Camaro sitting in my basement and I have been thinking about throwing it in the car.

Let's see if I can do a rundown of what I used. This is all for an Olds engine with a T-56 in a G-body but if you have something different you can pick out what you need.

Transmission:
Manufacturer: Borg Warner/ General Motors
Model: 1996 T-56
Part No.: Unknown
Dealer: N/A
Cost: $700.00 +/-

Bellhousing:
Manufacturer: McLeod
Model: SFI approved Blowproof Modular line
Part No.: 8710-15
Dealer: Summit Racing Equipment http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MCL-8710-15/
Cost: $441.99

Note: Due to the shorter input shaft of the LT1 style T-56, this kit is necessary as it also comes with a special pilot bushing that helps support the input shaft in the crank.

Flywheel:
Manufacturer: Oldsmobile
Cost: $100.00+/-

Clutch:
Manufacturer: Centerforce
Model: DFX, SFI approved
Part No.: 01148552
Dealer: Summit Racing Equipment http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CTF-01148552/
Cost: $325.95

Note: This part number is for a Chevelle however it fits an Oldsmobile just fine.

Flywheel bolts:
Manufacturer: ARP
Model: Pro Series
Part No.: 200-2802
Dealer: Summit Racing Equipment http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARP-200-2802/
Cost: $13.84

Pressure Plate bolts:
Manufacturer: ARP
Model: Pro Series
Part No.: 230-2202
Dealer: Summit Racing Equipment http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARP-230-2202/
Cost: $25.95

Hydraulic Throw-out bearing:
Manufacturer: Weir Hot Rod Products
Model: Unknown
Cost: $150.00 +/-

Note: This T/O bearing was bought with a Weir Hot Rod Products bellhousing "kit" however I wanted an SFI approved steel bellhousing and decided to sell the WHRP bellhousing. I kept the T/O bearing but due to the difference in bellhousings needed to make a spacer that fit between the transmission face and T/O bearing.

Hydraulic Clutch Master Cylinder:
Manufacturer: General Motors
Model: N/A
Part No.: 12570277
Dealer: GMPartsdirect.com
Cost: $139.18

Note: The main body of the clutch and master cylinder are used however the braided line is discarded for an aftermarket line that doesn't have the funky quick disconnect fitting on it. An adapter fitting is available from Earl's Plumbing to join the braided stainless steel line to the GM clutch cylinder.

Clutch Pedal:
Manufacturer: John Bzdel
Part No: Unknown
Dealer: John Bzdel http://www.ls7montess.com
Cost: $150.00+/-

Note: This is a clutch pedal with geometry designed to mate properly with the above LS1 clutch master cylinder. It bolts directly onto the stock automatic pedal assembly and requires that the stock brake pedal be trimmed down for clearance. It is also required to fabricate a positive stop as well as a bracket for the neutral safety switch.

Neutral Safety Switch:
Manufacturer: General Motors
Dealer: Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, O'reily's, etc.
Cost: $7.00 +/-

Note: This is a NSS from a 3rd generation ('82-'92) GM F-body.

Transmission Crossmember:
Manufacturer: 'Iceman'
Model: T-56 dual hump
Dealer: 'Iceman'
Cost: $150.00+/-

Transmission Yoke:
Manufacturer: Strange Engineering
Part No.: Depends on application
Dealer: Summit Racing Equipment
Cost: $50.00+/-

Note: The T-56 takes the same transmission yoke as a TH-2004R, TH-350, etc. I didn't include a part number or model as it depends on what size U-joints your running. In my case I have the 1350 series.

Thank you I really appreciate the information. Your car is looking awesome. I am hoping to get the six speed in there sometime over the winter to hopefully get useable gas mileage out of the car. I also like the fuel injection route you went and have been greatly considering it. The only thing stopping me is cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor