200-4R or TH350C?

Status
Not open for further replies.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Is that specifically for the OD function? (serious question) It will most definitely not be any kind of daily driver, and I just want something strong to take a big beating at the track.
I read through your initial post again and didn’t see any reference to use as a track only car. If that’s the case then a 3 speed would make sense.

Coltrane

Apprentice
Jul 6, 2020
I read through your initial post again and didn’t see any reference to use as a track only car. If that’s the case then a 3 speed would make sense.
Well it's not track only, but when it had 3.90s (it currently has a 3.73 rear) it didn't bother me in the least driving on the road, so I don't think it would bother me to not have OD again.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
My understanding is the TH350C is slightly weaker than a regular TH350. Both suck in stock form and will need upgrades, I assume it will be pushing over 400 ft/lbs of torque at the motor? If so, add a $400 billet forward drum to the cost of the 2004R build. The 2004R will be twice the cost especially with already having the pretty expensive TH350C high stall converter.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Gearing is the same for both other than the 4th/OD for the 200-4r so that's a wash.

If you go through the th350 then that same $$ can go toward the 200-4r as well.

10yrs ago you didn't mind driving <55mph on the highway in your prized possession. I say get on the highway in your DD & limit yourself to 55mph for a 30min drive. Then consider things. We change our wants as we age. You might appreciate being able to get in the 'hot rod' & enjoying it more often when it isn't limited by some drivability function.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Screwz

Greasemonkey
May 10, 2021
Arkansas
Well it's not track only, but when it had 3.90s (it currently has a 3.73 rear) it didn't bother me in the least driving on the road, so I don't think it would bother me to not have OD again.
If you have everything to you need to put the TH350 in put it in and drive it around for awhile. It only takes a few hours to swap them. Nothing wrong with a little shop time.

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
In my opinion, regressing to a three speed transmission is a big step backwards. Invest a little money in the 200 4R or just buy one already built. Don’t be cheap.
My take is that he has the th350, already built, and it previously lived behind the motor j. A car before it was wrecked.

So it's a situation of a free-to-him th350 that handles the motor as it used to be in the other car with it, vs, starting from ground zero with a 200-4r.

I could be wrong, and, according to the better half I frequently am.

Coltrane

Apprentice
Jul 6, 2020
My take is that he has the th350, already built, and it previously lived behind the motor j. A car before it was wrecked.

So it's a situation of a free-to-him th350 that handles the motor as it used to be in the other car with it, vs, starting from ground zero with a 200-4r.

I could be wrong, and, according to the better half I frequently am.
That is basically it! The TH350 wasn’t built too much, but held up fine to many many passes at 320rwhp, so hopefully it would hold up to 400 but I won’t know until I flash the converter on the starting line! 😂
I’m still on the fence, because I know there are benefits of the 200-4r as well.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The 350 is a better deal economically even if you didn't have one already. Considering you have one, then it's a no brainer to this cheap SOB. For a track car that you intend to get faster and faster as time goes on, then I'd spend my money on a TH400 and never look back, or under the car, again.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
That is basically it! The TH350 wasn’t built too much, but held up fine to many many passes at 320rwhp, so hopefully it would hold up to 400 but I won’t know until I flash the converter on the starting line! 😂
I’m still on the fence, because I know there are benefits of the 200-4r as well.
Before spending money on a 200-4r I'd probably turn into a sadistic bas+ard and go 4l80e-HD. It helps that, much like your th350, I've got one of those homeless at the moment.

I still think maybe the way to go is try the th350 and see how it behaves. People don't pay much coin for a used th350 that was built 10+ yrs ago... no matter how good you know it may be they're going to be skeptical that it has 10, 15 yrs or more of flogging on it. So uts not like you could sell it for much anyways.

Stick the crossmember and 2004r against the wall in the garage. If the th350 blows you can rethink an OD build.

Coltrane

Apprentice
Jul 6, 2020
Sooo I just talked to a trans shop who works on 200-4rs about building mine - we’ll see!!

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor