200-4R QUESTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
A few quick questions. Does the (iron) center support sealing rings come with an overhaul kit, and if not, where can I obtain them?

Also, if I remain with a 7-vane pump, do I just purchase new vanes and the few inner odds and ends, and just keep the rotor assembly? . I have recently bought the Transgo hardened no yo-yo pump rings, so I won't need them.

Rich, which tools did you substitute?

Reactions: 1 user

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
I'm sure Ive posted my link before. http://www.ihadav8.com/forum/index.php?topic=3729.0
In post seven you can see the piece of 2 liter plastic bottle I cut to use when installing the seals.
In post four there is a pic of the fancy low/rev remove install tool. You can get the low reverse out by turning the trans bell down and using gravity I'm told or my friend in Canada used some #12 copper wire with an el bent in it to remove.
In post thirteen you can see the piece of two liter bottle I cut and used with some hose clamps to "size" the solid sealing rings on the shaft.
In post nineteen shows the angle iron assembly piece I made to hang the case off my bench
In post twenty two you can see the setup I used to set the output clearance where I wanted it.
IMAG3879.jpg IMAG3882.jpg IMAG3884.jpg
here are some pix of the little setup I pieced together to get the clutch packs in and out of the drum
i'm happy to exchange texts on 200-4r or we could talk about it if you want. I'll pm my number and you can contact if you like. Remember, Im just a hobby guy too cheap to pay someone else but mine has been in the car several years and is the longest lasting 200-4r the car has ever had and I bought it new.

I just reused the iron rings on the center support. I didn't see a need to replace them, not sure if they come in a kit.
I was told the seven vane was fine and would work for what I am doing. I did put a set of the unbreakable rings in. I also replaced the slide spring with a sonnax spring to keep the pump at maximum volume. sonnax #77722-01k I was also told I could put the stock small spring inside the sonnax spring to elevate the spring pressure even more but that was after I already had it assembled. You need a larger boost valve, reverse boost valve and the 700r4 spring to get the internal pressures up.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Winner
Reactions: 4 users

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Rich,
As always, thank you for sharing your wealth of information. As far as the center support rings, I would've reused them had I not broken them trying to remove them. The original center support was broken and I acquired a replacement, so that's why I was going to swap them out. I read that the Teflon rings did not seal as well as the iron ones. Whether that's true or not, I don't know.
A friend of mine used an old drill press to compress the clutch pack pistons. He cut out a few pieces of PVC pipe fittings to enable him to access the snap rings. I'll have to take some pics of the pieces. He actually gave them to me knowing that I planned to rebuild my 200-4R.

I had Extreme build the trans in my 442. He can modify your valve body to make it a BRF like the GN. Mine is a stage 1 behind a mostly stock TPI and it shifts nice.
When I had mine done, I had a friend drop it off, and it went to the front of the line. Be sure to pull the speedo drive out, mine came back without one, and I had to wait for him to send me one.

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I had Extreme build the trans in my 442. He can modify your valve body to make it a BRF like the GN. Mine is a stage 1 behind a mostly stock TPI and it shifts nice.
When I had mine done, I had a friend drop it off, and it went to the front of the line. Be sure to pull the speedo drive out, mine came back without one, and I had to wait for him to send me one.
David,
I know Extreme has a great reputation, but it's not really in my budget to have someone rebuild it for me, so therefore my plan is to tackle it myself.

Rob-Legacy1

Apprentice
Sep 11, 2016
New Braunfels Tx
The reason you need to use the ten or thirteen vane rotors is to prevent cavitation and pulsation of the transmission fluid . That's why GM made the design change. On any rebuild of old 2004r's or 700r4's this should be done to ensure the life and best operation of your unit.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The reason you need to use the ten or thirteen vane rotors is to prevent cavitation and pulsation of the transmission fluid . That's why GM made the design change. On any rebuild of old 2004r's or 700r4's this should be done to ensure the life and best operation of your unit.
Rob,
Thank you for your input. I realize that the 10-vane pump will reduce cavitation, but will it make much of a difference with an engine that will rarely see over 4500 rpm?
I do plan to do the necessary upgrades to make it live longer...hardened parts, etc. where needed.

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
For every extra vane added into the pump you are reducing the pump capacity by the volume that vane takes up in there. I guess I'm just not doing it right. I think you are way ahead spending the money on a stiffer pump slide spring, and upgrading the boost valve train and just adding in the unbreakable rings.

On my gauge while doing wot blasts as well as just cruising, I'm not seeing the pulsations. Im thin king you might be using the stock top feed filter and not running your setup a quart over full and the pump isn't being fed the volume of fluid it needs to make the clutch packs apply and stay applied.

Ill agree to disagree.

Rob-Legacy1

Apprentice
Sep 11, 2016
New Braunfels Tx
For the $15 it cost to do the upgrade I believe I would do it , GM spent lots of money making these changes because in off camber situations It causes air to be introduced to the system causing catastrophic pump failure. Everyone of these type of transmissions that I build I do this upgrade to. Just because someone doesn't experience the problem does not mean It isn't a problem . I have been rebuilding transmissions for over 35 years , I went to school at GM for the 2004r and have seen this failure first hand it will cost you a lot more than $15 dollars for the failure. Ask any of the shops that you are considering and they will all tell you they do the same thing. P.S. you also have to drill out the drain back hole for the front seal to prevent blow out. Sorry about the essay , good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor