200-4R QUESTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Rich,
As always, thank you for your input. According to Joe, who did the build thread, spoke to Dave Husek who says running the 7-vane pump is fine...and he builds 200-4R's for the Turbo Buick crowd.

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
Yes he does, and if I were to spend money to have one built it would be with him. Super nice guy, answered all the questions I could come up with so I always recommend him and his company, Turbo Buick Performance.

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Yes he does, and if I were to spend money to have one built it would be with him. Super nice guy, answered all the questions I could come up with so I always recommend him and his company, Turbo Buick Performance.
Joe pretty much echoed what you said about Dave being a truly nice guy and willing to help out when he can....also having a good reputation.

Last edited:

Rob-Legacy1

Apprentice
Sep 11, 2016
New Braunfels Tx
I have never seen anyone put so much effort into getting someone to run an inferior part, the vast majority of builders across the country , every high performance transmission rebuild available on line ,as well as GM run the 10 vane I'm sure that we all just like wasting money on an unneeded upgrade. At the end of the day Longroof79, it is your car spend the money where you see fit. I truly was not wanting to start a pissing contest, I was just giving you my advice as a professional Transmission Rebuilder and although I have never owned a turbo Buick I have built hundreds of 2004rs for turbo Buicks and hot rods . I transplant them in all types of cars. Good luck with your build, can't wait to see it finished. If you would like any help just PM me.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I have never seen anyone put so much effort into getting someone to run an inferior part, the vast majority of builders across the country , every high performance transmission rebuild available on line ,as well as GM run the 10 vane I'm sure that we all just like wasting money on an unneeded upgrade. At the end of the day Longroof79, it is your car spend the money where you see fit. I truly was not wanting to start a pissing contest, I was just giving you my advice as a professional Transmission Rebuilder and although I have never owned a turbo Buick I have built hundreds of 2004rs for turbo Buicks and hot rods . I transplant them in all types of cars. Good luck with your build, can't wait to see it finished. If you would like any help just PM me.
Rob,
Again, I appreciate your advice, suggestions, and feedback. I didn't mean this to become a pissing contest by any means. I respect your knowledge and experience, just repeating what other guys have to say. I like to hear different opinions of what to use, what I can't, and what's recommended. I obviously have a lot to learn on the subject, so I am not in the position to denigrate anyone's advice or recommendations.
Thank you for offering to share your knowledge and information.

Rob-Legacy1

Apprentice
Sep 11, 2016
New Braunfels Tx
Rob,
Again, I appreciate your advice, suggestions, and feedback. I didn't mean this to become a pissing contest by any means. I respect your knowledge and experience, just repeating what other guys have to say. I like to hear different opinions of what to use, what I can't, and what's recommended. I obviously have a lot to learn on the subject, so I am not in the position to denigrate anyone's advice or recommendations.
Thank you for offering to share your knowledge and information.
You are just asking important questions, that are relevant to you and your trans. I love to see people take on new challenges. Have a great day

• Friendly

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
So as the guy who has built hundreds, how many, just a general number, has been in with a seven vane pump failure? How many could be blamed on the inferior pump rings used in the early years. GM thought the seven vane was good enough to be used in both the 2004r and the 700r4 early in their production runs.

My thought is that by replacing the rotor with one that isn't within spec for the pump adds to the problem instead of solving one. Those are available in several thicknesses from GM but the aftermarket only has one size that I have seen. How many will pony up for the GM one that they have measured the clearance on? At least with the one GM installed at the factory you are dealing with some wear and not one too thick or too thin.

Mine makes plenty of pressure and I would guess the volume is good as it has been in the car several years now. I read through everything I could find on the interwebz about the 2004r including about 600 threads on the turbobuick.com transmission section. I'm on a budget so cutting even $15 which I'm guessing is your cost because i've not seen any that cheap, on a pump upgrade is well worth it to me. I have probably $350 or so in parts in my overhaul. I got a smokin deal on a converter and really only splurged on the sonnax servo, some raybestos red clutches for the direct and a carbon band for a th200 which was pretty reasonable compared to the kevlar ones some think work.

My current project is assembling a 4l60e for a 94 suburban. I'm pretty sure it already has the 10 vane pump so Ill be using it there.

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
I have a 7 vane pump in mine behind a 500 horse olds big block no issues just replaced the rings less vanes less places for it to shatter or crack

Rob-Legacy1

Apprentice
Sep 11, 2016
New Braunfels Tx
TexasT I'm sorry to have offended you, at the end of the day just like the smoker it's yours to do with as you like I really do not care . I feel like our conversation went like this.
Have a great day

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
Not offended here. You and I are both from Texas and you know it takes way more than differing opinions on a message board to irk someone like us.

I again welcome any an all input. That is what these forums are for. Apparently I'm rubbing you wrong though. I come to learn and even help others with my knowledge of what I have done. You have a vast transmission knowledge. I think that is great and hope you stay and help with other's trans probs. I already agreed to disagree. That doesn't mean I don't like you, or think less of you.

What are your thoughts on dual feeding the direct? Are you using a kit or your own method?
Are you using stock apply plates in the clutch pack or someone's thicker aftermarket variety?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor