200-4R QUESTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
Love to see your input. I've built a grand total of one 2004r so obviously I don't have the 35 yrs experience you have. Keep your input coming.

On the opposite side of that I do have thirty yrs experience as the owner of a Turbo Buick and have experienced just about every failure the 2004r can experience. I spent countless thousands getting them overhaul/rebuilt and even had a 700r4 in the car for a number of years. That said, this unit I have in the car now, that I assembled, is shifting well four years later and it has the seven vane pump, the pump mod you mention to prevent the front seal blow out as well as the gm seal retainer to keep the seal in. I run a 700r4 bottom feed filter and a quart over full on the dipstick to prevent "sucking air" . I think the pump failures in the 2004r can be attributed to the fragile pump rings used early in the production. Once the ring breaks, catastrophic failure is imminent.

I agree GM has done millions in research but max performance isn't their main objective. The buzzing pump noise cure with the offset vanes on the rotor and other upgrades are nice but it doesn't make for max pump volume.

Keep your input coming, I'm always looking to learn.

Reactions: 1 user

Rob-Legacy1

Apprentice
Sep 11, 2016
New Braunfels Tx
I appreciate your input as well the buzzing noise is resolved by grinding a valve land the vane change to ten was to eliminate cavitation , then again to thirteen to stabilize fluid pressure, My great grand father smoked two packs of smokes a day lived til he was 98 no cancer my grand mother did the same died at 67 from lung cancer just because it worked this time doesn't mean, you should continue to gamble. Have an awesome day !!

Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I never have, but I wouldn't mind obtaining a copy.
i finally got my hands on this book & man what a book it is.I'm waiting for my friend to finish up a project before he has time to help me with mine(I'm still collecting parts)before he can help me with my upgrades.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The 13 vane rotor is a very questionable upgrade. The strength is a big knock against it, supposedly can break on start up if not properly primed. Most builders agree the 10 vane is the best one to use, more consistent pressure and not as weak as the 13 vane. Of course billet pump rotors are part of the big torque models with near 300 psi line pressure.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Were these transmissions ever upgraded with a 10-13- vane pump from the factory? Somehow I don't think they were. I'm guessing it was an aftermarket upgrade.

Also, was the hardened sun shell and stator support a factory upgrade? Obviously, you can differentiate between a hardened (spline) stator support and non-hardened unit....but how can you tell between a hardened and non-hardened sun shell?

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
i finally got my hands on this book & man what a book it is.I'm waiting for my friend to finish up a project before he has time to help me with mine(I'm still collecting parts)before he can help me with my upgrades.
I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and spring for a copy.

Rob-Legacy1

Apprentice
Sep 11, 2016
New Braunfels Tx
Were these transmissions ever upgraded with a 10-13- vane pump from the factory? Somehow I don't think they were. I'm guessing it was an aftermarket upgrade.

Also, was the hardened sun shell and stator support a factory upgrade? Obviously, you can differentiate between a hardened (spline) stator support and non-hardened unit....but how can you tell between a hardened and non-hardened sun shell?
Gm didn't come out with upgrade until the end of production of the 2004r but it was suggested by Gm that when rebuilt that you make the upgrade.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and spring for a copy.
I haven't forgotten about you Jack but by all means don't let me hold you back on your project.if i get through with my trans/book and you still need it I'll gladly send it your way,it's quite the book.i'm waiting on my friend to give me a hand so i can't complain about the time frame.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I haven't forgotten about you Jack but by all means don't let me hold you back on your project.if i get through with my trans/book and you still need it I'll gladly send it your way,it's quite the book.i'm waiting on my friend to give me a hand so i can't complain about the time frame.
Thank you, Chris, you're much too kind. I still have to accumulate parts, so there's not a big rush. I appreciate the offer, though.

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
While not quite 300 psi at idle mine gets to 270psi at full tv according to my notes. Seven vane pump works fine for me and several of my friends that are running mid elevens in the 1/4 mile. Your money, your choice. I've not had failure in the 30 yrs of using the seven vane setup. I guess that makes me like the grandpa.

As far as the factory hardened parts, these are almost thirty yrs old for the newest pieces the factory installed. Probably a good idea to just replace the stator and sun shell. That is money I would spend, along with the hard rings, larger valves and spring and the stiffer slide spring.

Attachments

• IMAG4999.jpg
    IMAG4999.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 173
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor