200 4R - which bell housing is best ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
From my own experiences, only the early 200 4r transmissions had BOP or Chevrolet only bell housings. In all my years around these cars I have only seen one that wasn't dual pattern and it was a BOP pattern All the later ones had the dual pattern. I personally would be hesitant to start with one that was single pattern knowing that it is an early one and does not have a lot of the factory upgrades that were made over the years.
Have you seen the Chevy only pattern?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
All 2004rs have the dual pattern and No removable tailshaft. they never made a chevy bolt pattern only , or a BOP only pattern.
Supposedly they made all 3, BOP and Dual with the Chevy pattern the rarest. I have heard eyes on the BOP pattern but no one has claimed to see the Chevy pattern in person but I spend my time on Oldsmobile sites. I was surprised my 70 Cutlass transmission was dual pattern. I am surprised GM bothered casting both patterns separately. A dual pattern makes the most sense cost wise.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
All 2004rs have the dual pattern and No removable tailshaft. they never made a chevy bolt pattern only , or a BOP only pattern.
They certainly did make a BOP only as it was used behind those engines first. I have had hands on several over the years. I believe Chevrolet didn't start using them behind their engines until 84-85. Chevrolet was using the 700r4 on the Corvette in 1981 and then used it on the full-size trucks and B bodies. The 2004r use was mostly in Monte Carlo and El Caminos. The only B bodies I have seen with the 2004r were the 307 Oldsmobile powered ones. I have never seen a Chevrolet powered B body with the 2004r; but just because I have never seen one doesn't mean GM didn't build any.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
From my own experiences, only the early 200 4r transmissions had BOP or Chevrolet only bell housings. In all my years around these cars I have only seen one that wasn't dual pattern and it was a BOP pattern All the later ones had the dual pattern. I personally would be hesitant to start with one that was single pattern knowing that it is an early one and does not have a lot of the factory upgrades that were made over the years.
Not a concern for me. When my trans guy rebuilds my 200, he will add upgrades we already talked about. Not a big event for him cause I'm only looking to support 300 hp, but he said the trans will support up to 450 just incase I upgrade in the future.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Given GM's mindset regarding the move to "corporate" mentality at the time, it wouldn't make sense to make a Chevrolet-specific case, especially if they had already developed the "corporate" case from the BOP case.

I've never even heard of a "Chevrolet" 2004r case before this thread

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Joe Pavandino mentioned it on Classic Oldsmobile but has never seen the Chevy case in person. GM may have made them or they could be like a solid main 403. Should we put out a reward for one, like the solid main Olds 403?

• Haha

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Might be that a drawing for it exists, but was never released for production. Kinda like the tripower SBC.

• Agree

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Or the non window main 403.

One of my 200r4's came out of a 88? 305 SBC caprice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor