• 200-4r.jpg
    200-4r.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 76
Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The 1/8npt port is on the driver side just above the shift shaft. As long as you don’t have dual exhaust, then it’s easy as pie to get to.

I’m 110% in agreement that the TV cable must correct geometry at the carb and generate correct line pressures at the correct times.

Non stock built transmissions will make ALOT of line pressure in reverse, 1st and at WOT.

Lastly, you do not adjust shift timing or firmness with the TV cable.

Reactions: 2 users

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
I believe that 8.5 out of a t-type should have 3.42 gears in it. I could be wrong so if anyone knows better please chime in.
From Olds parts illustrated.

8.5"

No 8.5 available

85-87
RPO GU6 3.42 avail as a posi with an added RPO code.
RPO GT4 3.73, avail as a posi with an added RPO code, no posi avail in 1987

RPO GT4 3.73 only

83 back no 8.5 available.

Reactions: 1 users

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
LIkely you will need a search engine to track it down but I did recently post a brief how to on dealing with the TV cable. Getting the cable tension just exactly right is the hardest part and can take more than one try but it can be done. Locating the correct cable mounting bracket can also be something of a headache but they too can be scored if you are will to wander through fields of hulks and do some exploring.

The lock up provision comes as a default ability in factory 200 R4's and 700R4's. The electrical plug in found on the side of t-case is not to actuate it, it is actually to de-actuate it during braking. The lock up automatically resets itself when you accelerate again. There are pictures floating around that I took of what/where the factory switch for the lockup looks like/can be found.

As for there being no non lock up versions of the 700R4, we-ell, the factory didn't as far as I know but, if you go aftermarket then TCI offers a non-lockup version of the 700R4 under their part number TCI1060. They have it listed in the 2022 catalogue on page 143.

Nick
Hey thanks for the info.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Just reading through this so already lots of good information.

Edelbrock and Holley makes the geometry correction connector needed. Summit, Jegs and some others sell it.

On the TV it basically needs 100% at 90% of throttle. Length wise it is a direct replacement some modification to cross member might be needed.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I used the factory TH2004R TV bracket with a Dualjet on an Olds 260. I thought it would work, it didn't. Suprised considering it was probably in front of a TH200 which also would have used a TV cable. I drove around the block, super sloppy shifts. I added zip ties to the cable to add tension and all was good. Either the TV geometry correction and or a universal TV cable, where you set the length may be needed to work properly. Were there any factory Dualjet and 2004R factory combinations? None that I can think of.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
The major downside to the Transmissions that need TV cable, if not hooked up correctly, trans can burn up as little as 30 miles.

Too many still see the TV as a "kick down" cable and it is not. As long as you start the project knowing this, you are world's ahead. The 700R and 2004R respond well with 2300 stall, provided your engine is setup for that.

If you are running stock cam, compression, manifolds and exhaust, ... You are better off with stock converter. However if you plan to improve engine and exhaust at later date the 2300 stall won't hurt.

Lockup can run stand alone. You just need the kit or just hard wire but make sure to add a disconnection at the brake pedal or switch.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The major downside to the Transmissions that need TV cable, if not hooked up correctly, trans can burn up as little as 30 miles.

Too many still see the TV as a kick down cable and it is not. As long as you start the project knowing this you a world's ahead. The 700R and 2004R respond well with 2300 stall, provided your engine is setup for that.

If you are running stock cam, compression, manifolds and exhaust, ... You are better off with stock converter. However if you plan to improve engine and exhaust at later date the 2300 stall won't hurt.

Lockup can run stand alone. You just need the kit or just hard wire but make sure to add a disconnection at the brake pedal or switch.
I really like the launch from my PATC 2200 to 2500 stall, it flashes at 2350 rpm. The factory common D9 stall around 1900, a 300 rpm gain from his TH250C converter, plenty for a stock 3.8.

Reactions: 1 users

olskool

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2021
i am a retired transmission rebuilder and shop owner for 45 years. the 2004R is my favorite O/D transmission in the GM cars. but it was an aggravation when it came out, till all the bugs were fixed that plagued us. i have one in my 86 monte carlo SS,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Reactions: 4 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I have a question and concern pertaining to putting a 200-4R in my wagon. The engine is a mild SBC 350, stock convertor, running a Q-jet carb. I'm guessing that the Q-jet won't need any type of TV geometry correction arm, even though my '79 wagon never came with a 200-4R stock. I was planning on using the throttle/ TV bracket from a 200-4R equipped V-8 Oldsmobile. Any feedback as to what TV/ throttle bracket is best on a SBC?
Perhaps the throttle bracket from my original 305/ TH 200 would be more suitable? Although I no longer have that bracket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor