200R4 Am I going in the Right Direction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

86cutlassrules

Greasemonkey
Dec 12, 2008
I have an 86 Cutlass with a mild 403, and stock everything else, the transmission is a good used trans I got from one of the members on here its low mileage and in good shape. However it has to be the slushiest slowest trans I have ever had. I had the same setup 403, but with a th350 in an 80 trans am and the feel of the car is just so different its amazing. I went out and bought a Trans go NoYoYo SysKoKal kit which says it just kind of corrects most of the standard shift and reliability issues in the 200r4, and I am looking into changing out the servos. Is this the right way to go to make this thing shift a little more like a th350? I am a little nervous about the shift kit just because drilling into my valve body kind of freaks me out, when I did my 350 all I had to do was install some springs, change a spool valve or 2, and move a few check balls do they make a kit like that for the 200? The servo and stuff I was looking at was from 200raptor.com the description says

#31. 200-4R, Wake your 200-4R transmission up with this kit. You get the Mega Valve, you get the oversize low / reverse boost valve and the high performance intermediate billet servo. These three parts will wake up your 200-4R and can be installed without removing transmission or valve body. Ask for the 200-4R Wake Up Kit. Cost $179.00

Is that worth buying? Is there something else you guys can recommend to me? Im not too scared of working on transmissions and its just the idea of drilling into them that makes me nervous, plus I kind of don't want to have to pull it out again, my exhaust runs right under my double hump cross member and I know its going to be a b*tch on my back.

Also my converter is intermittently locking up sometimes it locks and it feels pretty good other times it doesn't. If I floor it and the converter locks I shift at about 3500, if it doesn't feel like locking I go up to around 4500-5k before shifting. My Tach seems to be a little inaccurate so it maybe a little lower of an RPM. My car originally had a Th200 in it so I swapped the computer with the one from the car I got the trans from and that made it lock more consistently but just sometimes it still doesn't feel like it.

MrHernandez

G-Body Guru
May 25, 2009
Jackson,TN
Ckperformance.com

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
www.turbobuicks.com has a transmission section where some of the guru(s) hang out.
Ditto CKPerformance they have one of the best 200-4R transmissions shift kits it the country bar none. His kit has the transmission bang the next gear at WOT like everyone elses but not at part throttle. Its merely shifts crisp as it should. Thats why I bought and it worked as billed.
Also www.extremeautomatics.com Lonnie Diers has been with the cutting edge builders from the beginning with the turbo Buick crowd. He built the 200-4R that I used behind my 509ci Caddy powered Cutlass. I think he has the deal on the servos thing just read his website write up on it.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
before you start throwing money at it, are you sure it's operating properly? is the TV cable properly set up and adjusted? is your fluid full?

86cutlassrules

Greasemonkey
Dec 12, 2008
The trans was actually out of Minion's 86 Cutlass the previous owner had done a bunch of work to the 307, the carb, distributor, and trans, and I forget if it was just really low miles like 50k or it was rebuilt. But either way hes a good guy so I'm sure he didn't give me a bad transmission. The fluid is full and nice and red, I replaced the seals, gaskets, and filter before I installed the transmission, and it has dex merc in it. The trans pan seemed pretty clean with only a light coating of black, none of the big chunks of black or metal like when a trans is cooked. As for adjusting the TV cable, I tried two different ways I had heard worked. I pulled the Tv cable back as far as it would go (towards the firewall away from the carb) then floored the gas pedal and it clicked forward, to adjust itself. Then I tried having someone floor the car and I pulled the cable back (away from the carb)as far as it would go, without keeping me from reaching WOT. The shift points differed maybe a few hundred RPMs it was pretty much a negligible difference.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
it may not feel like much, but there's a huge difference. one works, one kills the trans. if you have the manual, go by it, step by step. if not http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php
also, what carb do you have?

86cutlassrules

Greasemonkey
Dec 12, 2008
I kept the factory CC Quadrajet because I didn't want to have any problems. I also did a TPS sweep because I thought maybe it was giving an intermittent signal to the comp and not allowing the trans to lock. SO I hooked up my oscilloscope and the TPS passed every time, then I tried it with a meter, and it passed again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor