2017 OK/MO Route 66 G-Body Cruise FEELER THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Guys; This post caught my eye a while back, but without over drive I'm out. But what if we tie it into a meet in the center of the USA. Say Springfield Ill. or Kansas City for a finish point?? With the 40th anniversary of the A-G body being the fall of 2017 a big get together would be FINE. Kansas City has a NASCAR track & I believe a fine drag strip? And Springfield Il. always welcomes car guys, been their twice Route 66 & Power Tour. Guys coming from the South West could run Route 66 & the rest of us could just arrive at end point for a BIG A-G body anniversary?? So who among us is or has experience organizing an event like this. We would need insurance, T-shirts, a large motel or two smaller ones to give us a price break & if we do Kansas City a driving tour of the speed way. Of course limited to 99 MPH, NASCAR may even welcome us as they raced our cars for a # of years. Maybe we could even find an area for an auto X event?? Just thinking out loud, Ol'e Bob.

Reactions: 1 user

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
So who among us is or has experience organizing

That's the $64,000 question. I can handle the t-shirts, but the rest of it I have no clue. I guess I need to get cracking if this is going to happen. :mad: anyone know how to clone a person?

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Good evening GP403 & all; I think the biggest hurdle would be the up front cash for the insurance? I could help with phone calls lining up lodging. And the event venue central meet location (?), drag strip, auto X & unknown. We could ask for preregistration fee, maybe $20 for the insurance & for those that helped their balance would be say $20, $40 total? For the later registration (30 days before event) $50? And later say the last 22 days before event $60? But we would need some serious input from the membership. Also a consensuses on what city as an end point. Maybe tie it into some other event that is happening in that central area of the country? One or two days? I would suggest maybe a Saturday one day event that way guys could drive into area on Thursday - Friday, have a Saturday meet & head home Sunday limiting their days off work to 4 or 5? From my experience these events cost around $400 - $500 with fuel, food, lodging, event fee & the unforeseen. It's not cheep unless you happen to live in said city! So chime in guys, anyone interested? Ole' Bob.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I have organized a couple cruises but nothing on a "POWER TOUR" level. Don't understand why we need insurance to drive our cars other than our car insurance itself. In my opinion, there is not near enough interest (at this time) to do something on a large scale. I'd say Okla to Springfield MO and head back that night or the next day. Route 66 starting at Blue Whale in Catoosa, OKLA then stay on Route 66 to Sprinfield MO. This is as centrally located as it gets for a cruise. I think a small one first and then post up the videos on youtube, Facebook, and here. That would create enough buzz to double or triple the next years one. I've been on a bunch of car cruises/ tours and would recommend bringing an extra coil, module, and fuel pump. Also small tool kit and clean underwear. Lol. We need to get this set up

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Are the few that's planning on trying to make this cool with it? We have less than a year and I still have to assemble my Salon. I have my El Camino as back up though. Some of us are going to need a date to be finished and ready by. What time of year is the Street machine Nationals in Springfield? This would be an awesome stopping point. Ideas and thoughts???

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
September 23rd is Street Machine Nationals in Springfield MO. Don't see on their page if our years of cars are allowed though. Pre registration is $35 and $55 day of show. This would be a cool stopping point because we can park together and be safe. I have not been to this event since the 90's and would love to go again. Any volunteers to rub me down with sunscreen? Lol. Just throwing out some ideas since this thread is not going very far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor