2017 OK/MO Route 66 G-Body Cruise FEELER THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Guys; I'd be a maybe for this as that's a long haul for a non OD car. But we should find out if our cars are too NEW?? I'm pretty sure we aren't welcome at Back To The 50's, their cut off is 1964 last I heard? What about the Route 66 meet? Are they not meeting in Springfield IL? And they have no cut off year, all cars are welcome. Ole' Bob.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
I'd be in but will need the details and dates to commit. I think late summer early fall would be a better choice due to the uncertainty of weather in the spring.

Also would non G-body cars be allowed to caravan with us?

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I am in Tulsa. I am in. Have several friends with G-body cars (most are grudge or street strip style cars). What if we put together a couple of regional or smaller meets to get the ball rolling? Anybody could go, from anywhere. Just a thought. Tulsa is fairly central.

I am a car guy, so, I am not gonna snob out anybody or car.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
The Fall Street machine nationals is going to be a "Saturday only Event"

Everyone could wake up early Sunday Mourning and cruise back south on Route 66.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
September 23rd is Street Machine Nationals in Springfield MO. Don't see on their page if our years of cars are allowed though. Pre registration is $35 and $55 day of show. This would be a cool stopping point because we can park together and be safe. I have not been to this event since the 90's and would love to go again. Any volunteers to rub me down with sunscreen? Lol. Just throwing out some ideas since this thread is not going very far.

Yes, I went up there in 2015 and there were several G-Bodies, and stuff up to current year models... Hadn't considered tying it into that, but that's a cool idea.

Greetings Guys; I'd be a maybe for this as that's a long haul for a non OD car. But we should find out if our cars are too NEW?? I'm pretty sure we aren't welcome at Back To The 50's, their cut off is 1964 last I heard? What about the Route 66 meet? Are they not meeting in Springfield IL? And they have no cut off year, all cars are welcome. Ole' Bob.

I'd be in but will need the details and dates to commit. I think late summer early fall would be a better choice due to the uncertainty of weather in the spring.

Also would non G-body cars be allowed to caravan with us?

Looks like Fall is going to be a good bet. Spring is just too unpredictable here, and summer is a hot nasty mess. I don't see why you couldn't have a support crew tag along ;)

I am in Tulsa. I am in. Have several friends with G-body cars (most are grudge or street strip style cars). What if we put together a couple of regional or smaller meets to get the ball rolling? Anybody could go, from anywhere. Just a thought. Tulsa is fairly central.

I am a car guy, so, I am not gonna snob out anybody or car.

I would love to do this, but back to the $64K question, no experience in setting these things up. Is it as simple as approaching someone and asking if we can use a corner of their parking lot for a few hours? really, no idea, but I so want to do this, and do it the right way. Anyone have any connections with the TRP folks or someplace that might work?

Shoot, in the spring we should just start meeting once every or couple of week/s for donuts or burgers or something. :friday:

I just pulled OKC-Springfield out of the blue, since that puts me right smack in the center, and it could be done in a day, maybe a long day, but a day. There wouldn't be any requirement to do the whole thing or anything, that'd be silly. I think its way too ambitious to try and do a full on Route 66 thing from Chicago to Arizona or whatever. I know its leaving a lot of people out but we have to start somewhere.

I'm thinking we pick a start and an end point, start time, and a few "checkpoints" along the way (like the blue whale, pops, or ?) and we stop to pick up additions and say goodbye to those separating... I'd like to do a T-shirt/plaque type of thing just to get people to commit with $$ so they have skin in the game. Pre-register and you have to show up to get your swag, etc.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I have been part of renting the drag strip before and I believe it's around $700- $800. I don't want to pay money to meet somewhere. My wife designed and had made some arm bands for the Blue Whale. She then donated them a giant bag of them to sell and use the money for restoration/operation costs. I can talk to the lady and know we can probably park there for free. This is why I mentioned the Blue Whale. If we make the Nationals our destination, we only pay for entry fee. I think that's good for security and cool cars to check out too. Lets just say 7 AM Saturday morning and head for Springfield. The dates there and Route 66 is waiting. Lets just lock it in and call it done

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
If we make the Nationals our destination, we only pay for entry fee. I think that's good for security and cool cars to check out too. Lets just say 7 AM Saturday morning and head for Springfield. The dates there and Route 66 is waiting. Lets just lock it in and call it done
So we'd start in Tulsa and then head that way?

Sounds like a plan to me. We'll see how it turns out and gauge things for '18. Maybe get some other groups to head in from other parts? KC? St Louis? OKC guys leave early and meet us in t-town? :mrgreen: I don't remember if they were grouping cars by club or anything there, it seemed awful random, but if we show up more or less at the same time I guess they don't have a choice :D

I'll have to get some publicity type stuff together. Stay Tuned. I think a new thread is in order.

**the Saturday-only thing is probably a wise choice on their part. Nobody really shows up for these things on Friday until late, and everyone peels out on Sunday first thing anyway.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
I'm a long haul to Tulsa, but from there I'd be headed back home and I have relatives along the way so would work out well as a mini vacation for my family

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I hope this is going to work for the 3 cars that are interested. Lol. I've told 2 local G body guys about this today and they're fired up to go. G Bodys On Tour, The G Body Parade, The Great G Body Cruise,,,,, We need a catchy name cause this is going to get big in years to come. Whatcha guys got for a group of G Bodys cruising together?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor