2017 OK/MO Route 66 G-Body Cruise FEELER THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
four (w/ the Cutlass, 5 if I get the GP moving again) is more than we've had turn out for previous events (COUGH Carlisle COUGH) so that'd be a win. :D

(COUGH)

Reactions: 1 user

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I've been watching this thread since the first post, and the idea of an all G Body cruise is a winner. BUT Catoosa to Springfield is at best a 3 hour trip including a gas / piss stop. I'm from Houston, and my drive to Catoosa would be 8 hours. Just to start... Then to do just a 3 hour trip, visit the Nat's, and then drive back home another 11 hours. I would have a lot of time and money invested for 1 afternoon. I know you guys are excited to make this happen... so am I, or I wouldn't bother posting, but I think you need to be a little more ambitious. The 3?+ interested parties all live in Tulsa. I totally understand "starting somewhere" but you guys need to consider travelling some, to make this a little more attractive to other G Body enthusiasts. Otherwise you will definitely limit your participation.

How about Oklahoma City to Springfield. ( Make Tulsa the 1st gas / piss / lunch stop - then roll into Springfield well before dark on Friday night - then spend the day at the Nat's on Saturday, and those who need/want to leave that evening, can do so. OR spend the night in Springfield and leave first thing Sunday morning ) For you Tulsa guys.. if you don't want to run the same route (66) from Tulsa to OK City, and back to Tulsa.. take I-44 down to OK City, that way we can all enjoy the Route 66 experience together. Maybe this way we could pull some guys from Amarillo, TX - Dallas, TX - Wichita, KS - Memphis, TN - Shreveport, LA etc. Just a thought...

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
OKC-Springfield was basically the first post, but it sounded like people were iffy on it. If we can get enough folks lined up to do it that way then I'd be more than happy to do that. It does really sound like a good idea if there's anyone willing. Friday do from OKC (points west/south?) to Tulsa/Catoosa, then onward to Springfield and be there bright and early Saturday morning. We could still enlist anyone else that wants to come in later or from other points around Springfield and meet there Saturday morning. Yes, it would involve another nights stay in Springfield, but IIRC the cruising up and down old 66 was an unofficial part of the show. People were literally lined up with lawn chairs just to watch the traffic.

HAFROD , CWPottenger , Bar50 what say you to this suggestion?

Anyone in OKC, East of (or around) Springfield, Fayetteville AR, KCMO, East KS, NE OK, or even STL that might be interested in meeting there? DFW or points south like JAMCAR223 ? Sound off, we need your input.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
You need to consider if someone breaks down. I will not leave a fellow G Body owner stranded. I'm going to stay and help repair. It may be a short trip but was not planning on hauling *ss all the way there. There's some cool photos to take in some of the small towns along the way so there's extra stops involved. Truth is, this can go back and forth for another 3 months on starting here and there. One hot rod cruise I organized was 200 miles. I had around 40 different people say they would go. The day of the cruise we had 8 cars.

Last edited:

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
We have 273 days as of today. Tic Toc. I'm going to have a couple plaques made. One will be Farthest traveled, group pick for nicest G body, and another for best under construction. I have a buddy that moved out of state but he does T Shirts. I'm wanting a catchy name for this event to put on them. I really like G Bodys On Tour but would like you guys to throw some names out there. Can't really call it G Body cruise since there are a few vids on youtube named that already. Also plan on putting out some flyers at some local parts stores

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
four (w/ the Cutlass, 5 if I get the GP moving again) is more than we've had turn out for previous events (COUGH Carlisle COUGH) so that'd be a win. :D

(COUGH)
Would not want to pay your fuel bills especially with that GIANT engine in the GP. Lol

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
I'm out on a Friday thing

Hm, the more I think about it this should be an extra thing. People who work/etc. and may not be able to make it. Maybe OKC/points west to Tulsa/Catoosa on Fri, and then onward Sat. Its 6-of-one etc. etc. (cont... below)

You need to consider if someone breaks down. I will not leave a fellow G Body owner stranded. I'm going to stay and help repair. It may be a short trip but was not planning on hauling *ss all the way there. There's some cool photos to take in some of the small towns along the way so there's extra stops involved. Truth is, this can go back and forth for another 3 months on starting here and there. One hot rod cruise I organized was 200 miles. I had around 40 different people say they would go. The day of the cruise we had 8 cars.

This is why I was thinking we take Friday to get there, but like you said there are problems. What's ~3hrs on the interstate doing 75 takes 4+ otherwise on the back roads. So if we leave bright and early 7-ish Saturday we're not even there (registered and in) at the SM Nats til almost 12. But then its open until like 8pm so....... there's that, plenty of time to take it all in still.

I can probably get the better half or even my daughter to follow in the 4Runner as support. Stock some belts, hoses, oil, antifreeze, jumper cables, water, duct tape, bailing wire, bubble gum, etc.

We have 273 days as of today. Tic Toc. I'm going to have a couple plaques made. One will be Farthest traveled, group pick for nicest G body, and another for best under construction. I have a buddy that moved out of state but he does T Shirts. I'm wanting a catchy name for this event to put on them. I really like G Bodys On Tour but would like you guys to throw some names out there. Can't really call it G Body cruise since there are a few vids on youtube named that already. Also plan on putting out some flyers at some local parts stores

273 days sounds like a lot but I know it isn't. Give me next week to throw a name and some prelim signage/graphics out there. Would like to tie it to the site if possible. Those are all good. Lets hear some more suggestions! This may come down to executive decision.

Would not want to pay your fuel bills especially with that GIANT engine in the GP. Lol

The Cutlass actually isn't bad, its a highway cruiser (OD and 2.56s) and gets about 20MPG but yeah the GP is thirsty with the 403 and 3.73s. 3K+ all the way at like ~9 MPG if that. I don't like interstate trips with her, even short ones.

----------

Here's the big compromise I think might work: (assume Tulsa is Catoosa! :D )
  • If anyone wants to do OKC->Tulsa on Friday, let me know and I'll be happy to do that, too, even if its just one of ya. Might even do beers/burgers at GBF headquarters Fri. Nite if there's only a few of us. More and we'd have to go out somewhere lol. Anyone else that wants to start at Tulsa with us should be ready to go Saturday morning. OKC isn't set in stone, it could be elsewhere depending on interest.
  • From Tulsa we leave early Saturday morning early (7am too early? depends on if those beers happen?) and head to the Springfield Street Machine Nationals via Old 66. I just plotted it out (more or less) on Google maps and it says it'll take about 4 hrs, so figure in 4.5-5 to account for stops. I need to run an exact route, it really gets jiggy when you try to leave I-44 out of it.
  • Anyone that wants to join us at Springfield and try to get into the meet at the same time, we should pick a place and meet at like 11am/12pm or so and all enter at the same time or close enough. If there isn't then hey we cruise on in.
  • Cruise up and down Springfield Sat. Night after the show with everyone else (which means mostly idling at stoplights lol), meet up for dinner somewhere if you're staying in town.
  • Leave Springfield Sunday morning on your own time and start planning for 2018.

Throw out some ideas for names. Will try to get with HAFROD offline next week and hash some of this out.

BUT THIS IS HAPPENING one way or another. :soapbox: lol :rant:

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
https://goo.gl/maps/HUF4qKB8sP42

Here's a map I think would be the route we'd take. Seems to be mostly agreed upon. The blue dot down there is me, whoops. And if you zoom in on it there are a few glitches. Google doesn't make it easy to drag the line around without creating loops and jags.

Screen Shot 2016-12-23 at 11.30.38 AM.png

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I was at Carlisle, and will be there again this year, with a spot or 3. I don't know about this one, I have a lot going on this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor