2019 Silverado 1500 Gets I-4 Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
If its going to be a truck motor, its going to be built like a brick ****house and should easily make 400 HP in a emission exempt car. If its an All Aluminum Brick ****house, it will be 400lbs fully dressed out. Add a 6 speed manual trans (or 9-10 speed auto) and it will be a killer swap motor to make a lightweight car.

I hope GM sells millions of them.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
For my needs, I can't think of anything more useless.

Those turds are gonna destroy hauling capacity/capability too. If you want to put a heavy load in the bed, or substantial tongue weight on a load, you WANT front end weight... otherwise the nose lifts, tires scrub and get cupped in a matter of hundreds of miles, steering gets squirrly.

I'd have to assume this is a nightmare for anyone buying a truck to work as a truck.

I guess for the millenial buyer with their 4 foot bed and "look at me, I got me a truck" it's fine... but it isn't really a truck.

The turbo 4 banger or Ecoboost?

I'm here to tell ya, the 3.5 Ecoboost is a pulling fool. It pulls like a diesel. Low rpm, huge torque unlike a naturally aspirated engine that has to be revved high to access it's power. Mpg complaints aside it's a real contender when the bench racing ends and they get put to work.

I drove a new 3.5EB and a 6.2 Silverado last week. The silverado is a tiny bit quicker if you are beating on it but the power under the curve (where most of normal driving is done) the Ecoboost is incredibly stout.

I'm a GM guy but can also look at these without brand bias. The silvy drove better, they were a dead heat as far as power train goes. Luscious noises from that 11.5:1 compression small block but it's tuned for economy at part throttle and it shows. Ecoboost sounds industrial but makes ocean liner style torque all the time, like my 7.3 flowerjoke without all the rattling. Hate them if you want but turbochargers dominate all.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
If its going to be a truck motor, its going to be built like a brick ****house and should easily make 400 HP in a emission exempt car. If its an All Aluminum Brick ****house, it will be 400lbs fully dressed out. Add a 6 speed manual trans (or 9-10 speed auto) and it will be a killer swap motor to make a lightweight car.

I hope GM sells millions of them.

Just goes to show the application is wrong. A stout turbo 4 would work wonders in the Canyon/Colorado.

That being said I prefer my jeans non-skinny, my women without micro penises, and my trucks with V8s.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users
Nov 4, 2012

I'm here to tell ya, the 3.5 Ecoboost is a pulling fool. It pulls like a diesel. Low rpm, huge torque unlike a naturally aspirated engine that has to be revved high to access it's power. Mpg complaints aside it's a real contender when the bench racing ends and they get put to work.

I drove a new 3.5EB and a 6.2 Silverado last week. The silverado is a tiny bit quicker if you are beating on it but the power under the curve (where most of normal driving is done) the Ecoboost is incredibly stout.

I'm a GM guy but can also look at these without brand bias. The silvy drove better, they were a dead heat as far as power train goes. Luscious noises from that 11.5:1 compression small block but it's tuned for economy at part throttle and it shows. Ecoboost sounds industrial but makes ocean liner style torque all the time, like my 7.3 flowerjoke without all the rattling. Hate them if you want but turbochargers dominate all.

The EcoBoosts make a ton of power (the 3.5 especially, but don't write off the 2.7 either) for their displacement. The only thing that's really underwhelming about them is the fuel economy.

• Agree

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
The EcoBoosts make a ton of power (the 3.5 especially, but don't write off the 2.7 either) for their displacement. The only thing that's really underwhelming about them is the fuel economy.

Exactly. Underwhelming, yes, but nobody with an Ecoboost Raptor is complaining about gas mileage. If they are, they are either an idiot or they never owned a V8 Raptor. There is one around here with the "0 MPG" Texas license plate.

My wifes Ecoboost MKT gets 21 mpg on the highway. Yes, that seems low, but its a 5,000lb low 14 second AWD station wagon cruising at 78 mph. It is still nearly double what her 6.0L 2000 Yukon 2500 gets at those speeds, So I'm not complaining.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014

Turbo 4. I'm honestly not versed in the ecoboost, other than to say, we ran out and bought one of the last v6 mustangs to AVOID the 4 cyl ecoboost.

The article I'd read, and not sure if it's the same as was posted here, made a big point of talking up how the 2.7, fully dressed, would be over 300 pounds less than the 4.3.

All joking about that "Carolina squat" above, how many of the existing w/t series 4.3 trucks have you seen running around like that with wood, lawn equipt, painting stuff etc?

Ever since the oh... 50s or at least 60s, trucks have been "1/2 ton" in name only, with the specs and gvwr far exceeding that capacity. These newer things are edging closer and closer to BEING what's advertised in that "1/2 ton" capacity... and probably 1/4 ton at that

It's like going back in time to the model a/model t era, where you get a truck shaped body, on a car suspension, with a car designed engine....

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014

It was born of a paper pusher trying to decide where to cut weight and improve cafe requirements enacted by the last administration. Not a truck person.

It may be a flop when it comes to sales after 2-3 years with resale in the toilet and fleet/contractor types abandoning the brand in droves.

An independent contractor with a single vehicle is going with a 2500/3500 or better. But those companies with fleets, and utilities, etc? They cycle through 10, 20, 50 trucks every 4-5 years, buy half tons, ditching them around the 200k mile mark. Now if you tell me they start finding their fuel costs increasing by volume independent of fluctuating gas prices that they're going to keep buying the same turd over and over.... you're crazy.

So from a hot rodder perspective it may be desirable because there would be a surplus of unwanted engines, ok. But that doesn't make it a good truck engine.

Look at the early 80s, on paper the 3.8 everyone complains about was around 120hp. A vin Y 307 was around 140, a whopping 20 extra.

So that 3.8 was ultra advanced, a real fuel saver right, weighed a bunch less and almost as capable as the v8! In the real world you're not going to notice a whole lot of difference so let's go v6!

Sounds crazy right?

A turbo 4 doesn't belong in a full sized truck that is going to be a working man's truck.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor