3.8 blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutlassjim

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2006
The 3.8 Turbo in 81 made 170hp and 275lb-ft compared to the 305's 160hp and I'm guessing less torque but people couldn't get past the lag from the old skool turbo systems so they never took off.

But I was wondering the same. I mean, I have a 3.8 V6 buick motor in my '85 Grand Prix. The 2 barrel one. Like 110 hp. It's slow as sh*t. So basically, can you actually make some power with that motor, or would it just be way more cost effecient to drop in a 350 or something? lol.

The NA 3.8's can get to around 200-225ish hp and maybe a 5k redline before they poop their crank on the ground. Plus the only way your going to make any power with a NA 3.8 is to open the Stage catalog and take out a second morgage on your house. That or go with the replacement for displacement, forced induction. Moral of the story, drop in a 350.

P.S. here's a pic of the 3.8 carb'd turbo

83engine.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor