307 bad head gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkovacs

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2020
There's a 307 in Rolling Meadows that I can put you in touch with.
thanks but i don't know if buying another 307 would solve the problem. If I wanted the 307 I wouldn't have a problem fixing the issue, it just seems like a waste when I am planning on getting rid of it anyway. my car is going to be unused for a while because I am joining the army in June, so i thought it might be okay to just leave the engine alone and save up for a 350 swap or something.

Mac442

Master Mechanic
Apr 25, 2020
Ocean County, NJ
Do yourself a favor and just move on from the 307. 307 were very reliable in their time, but with any high mileage engine it’s like opening a can of worms. Once you open it up you’ll other parts will fail shortly there after. Has the timing chain been replaced? Any other oil leaks? And as others have said $800 is way low for head gaskets. Im guessing they aren’t checking the heads for warping, valve train for wear etc. And probably only doing the one head which isn’t a good idea.

lkovacs

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2020
yeah so I guess if anyone in IL is selling a good 350 or 455 then that would be great. hopefully down the road I'll be learning to do this stuff myself.

lkovacs

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2020
Do yourself a favor and just move on from the 307. 307 were very reliable in their time, but with any high mileage engine it’s like opening a can of worms. Once you open it up you’ll other parts will fail shortly there after. Has the timing chain been replaced? Any other oil leaks? And as others have said $800 is way low for head gaskets. Im guessing they aren’t checking the heads for warping, valve train for wear etc. And probably only doing the one head which isn’t a good idea.
it's only 60k miles. it sat for 15 years so I'm assuming gaskets dried out. I don't know what has been done to this engine other than what I have done. I haven't noticed any oil leaks, and as far as I know the timing chain has not been replaced

lkovacs

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2020
You have nothing to lose - try a sealant !!

I have considered this but I still need to drive the car to work from probably march to june/july. so if sealant jacks it up then that kind of defeats the purpose of me having bought the car in the first place

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Does the oil look like a chocolate milkshake? If it does, to late for a head gasket

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
Listen to little bowtie and go get yourself a thing of blue devil follow the instructions and drive it

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor