307 bad head gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
if there's no water in the oil, and if the smoke isn't too bad, could be just an intake leak... check your plugs to see which one it's burning coolant in, and look to see if it's near a coolant passage...

Reactions: 2 users

HooptieWagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 15, 2018
Maryland
I second the intake leak possibility. I'd pull the spark plugs and look at them, like fleming442 said.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The good ole valley pan! Nothing like sandwiching steel between iron and aluminum and then running coolant through all three. Great idea.

• Agree

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Dont be afraid to travel if you have the time. I drove from DSM, IA to basically madison, WI in my regal for fenders as well as omaha for my wheels.
i have a truck now but ive hauled engines in cars before. 350 olds drops right in.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The aluminum intake and iron head issue does spring up but that would dump coolant in the oil. Were the 307 steel shim head gaskets from the factory? The few I tore down were Felpro head gaskets. How did the coolant look? I saw nasty coolant eat shim head gaskets, they were starting to dump brown antifreeze into the cylinders on an Olds 350. When these cars were numerous on the road, we never had to pull the 307's down that far. What year is this car? Fixing it depends on compression and oil pressure. Hopefully the gasket is obviously blown as well or heads will also need checked. Other than 3A heads, Olds heads don't usually crack but it does happen. Usually a blown head gasket or cracked head will pressurize the cooling system big time. I blew a Corteco head gasket with Olds 307 5A heads on an Olds 350, did that. My 5.9 Dodge Magnum V8 also did it when a head cracked.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Felpro made the intake gaskets for GM. Probably many others as well. Even their NOS over the counter GM intake gaskets have Felpro stamped on them.

Since the pH of a "clean" ethylene glycol system with Deionized water is normally neutral to a bit acidic, it does seem like a strange marriage of iron/steel/aluminum which seems ripe for galvanic corrosion potential.

I've used Felpro in every Olds engine I've ever rebuilt, and never had an issue with their quality. The GM packaged head gaskets I'm guessing may also be Felpro. I've never yanked the head off of a 307, so I'm not sure what's under there originally. The replacement GM head gaskets are of a sandwiched steel something or other, but I cannot determine any markings at all on the head gaskets themselves. They are blue. Still, suspicions are Felpro manufactured.

GM edition:
307headgasket.JPG
307headgasket1.JPG

Felpro blue stripe edition:

307headgasket2.jpg

• Agree

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The aluminum intake and iron head issue does spring up but that would dump coolant in the oil. Were the 307 steel shim head gaskets from the factory? The few I tore down were Felpro head gaskets. How did the coolant look? I saw nasty coolant eat shim head gaskets, they were starting to dump brown antifreeze into the cylinders on an Olds 350. When these cars were numerous on the road, we never had to pull the 307's down that far. What year is this car? Fixing it depends on compression and oil pressure. Hopefully the gasket is obviously blown as well or heads will also need checked. Other than 3A heads, Olds heads don't usually crack but it does happen. Usually a blown head gasket or cracked head will pressurize the cooling system big time. I blew a Corteco head gasket with Olds 307 5A heads on an Olds 350, did that. My 5.9 Dodge Magnum V8 also did it when a head cracked.

This is a reason to be very careful and alert during disassembly. Keep looking for the coolant path. I'm not an Olds guy, but coolant coming out of the exhaust without pressurizing the cooling system can be a chore to find.

The OP said it's running badly - compression or leakdown check before disassembly. And that is a good time to look closely at the plugs as they are removed - I believe Fleming has already mentioned this once or twice as well.

• Agree

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Is any car "worth" fixing is in the eyes of the owner. Sounds like you are not a wrench turner so it will still cost you no matter which way you go. Is a Cutty with a matching engine worth anything, probably not. Sometimes a divorce is a good thing in the end.

High Roller

Greasemonkey
Aug 25, 2009
Cowtown USA, MN
I can't believe the head gasket blew at only 60M, My 83 H/O has 325M with the original, but I've replaced the intake gaskets three times, and replaced timing chain with a Cloyes dbl roller, and my 86 442 had 265M with original head gaskets, but intake gasket replaced twice, as well replaced timing chain with a Cloyes dbl roller. They both were drove hard everyday with only regular oil changes, and good tune up's.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
When I was very young the 1st thing in the trash was the instructions, now its the 1st thing I pull out and read. Well actually it was the OEM parts to be replaced by aftermarket stuff. I wish I would have kept those "snowflake" intakes! There is a lot of interesting things on those papers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor