307 bad head gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkovacs

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2020
thanks everybody. I have decided that I am just going to let the engine die and when it's gone i will replace it with a 455. I know that's a whole nother can of worms but I will deal with that later. I am not really great with working on cars on my own but not because i don't want to be. it's because I am 17 and haven't been taught. I am planning on enlisting as an Army Mechanic so hopefully that will help me start to be able to do my own stuff. Also I will have income from that to pay for parts. I have a lot of plans for that car but yeah the 307 is not part of those plans. If the engine kicks the bucket before I ship, then I will just buy a 600 dollar beater car to get me to work until then. At least I will be able to sell it for 600 dollars instead of paying thousand dollars on engine worth, what? 150?

Reactions: 1 user

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I have considered this but I still need to drive the car to work from probably march to june/july. so if sealant jacks it up then that kind of defeats the purpose of me having bought the car in the first place
Sealant !

Don't know what you mean by jacks it up, I have used it several times with success and as I said at this point what do you have to lose.

lkovacs

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2020
sorry for the late update soooooo, it's not the head gasket. The coolant is leaking a little bit out of a freeze plug. the rough idle is just carb is just running too rich. it also diesels a little when shut off. People around here have been hard pressed to diagnose the problem because its a weird ccc setup. One guy called it a hermaphrodite... lol. Anyway, somebody on this forum is selling a nice 403 olds setup that I'm trying to get my hands on. thanks for the help everybody

Reactions: 1 users

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
sorry for the late update soooooo, it's not the head gasket. The coolant is leaking a little bit out of a freeze plug. the rough idle is just carb is just running too rich. it also diesels a little when shut off. People around here have been hard pressed to diagnose the problem because its a weird ccc setup. One guy called it a hermaphrodite... lol. Anyway, somebody on this forum is selling a nice 403 olds setup that I'm trying to get my hands on. thanks for the help everybody
Get those freeze plugs replaced ASAP, otherwise you will develop a head gasket issue if you loose too much coolant.

As for the CCC setup, there's a thread dedicated to those setup's. Your rough idle could be a simple adjustment, or vacuum lines as well.

fishvid

n00b
Aug 7, 2021
My mum has asked me to have a look at her car, as it keeps beeping and flashing a message about topping up coolant. Anyway, to cut a long story short, the coolant system is getting very pressurised, and pushing water out of the expansion bottle, setting off the sensor. Remove the top and water rushes back in (pressure is there even when it's been left for a couple of days!). Bubbles are appearing in the expansion tank, so I'm pretty certain that it's the head gasket, unless anyone can give me another explanation! vidmate save insta

Last edited:

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
My mum has asked me to have a look at her car, as it keeps beeping and flashing a message about topping up coolant. Anyway, to cut a long story short, the coolant system is getting very pressurised, and pushing water out of the expansion bottle, setting off the sensor. Remove the top and water rushes back in (pressure is there even when it's been left for a couple of days!). Bubbles are appearing in the expansion tank, so I'm pretty certain that it's the head gasket, unless anyone can give me another explanation!
What car and engine are we discussing here? Coolant level sensors are a little later than than G bodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor