350 head identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

78_Monte970

Apprentice
Jun 2, 2019
Colorado
You had your most thorough answer in post #2/1st reply.

Us, "old heads", are like this because we all had to learn the hard way: research, trial and error, and actually learning skills, not just hopping on a forum and asking questions expecting the members to build your car through a keyboard. Take a screwdriver, and scratch the head. It should be immediately apparent whether you have iron or aluminum heads. HOWEVER, your research should have shown that there are very few (if ANY) factory aluminum small block Chevy heads prior to the LS platform.
This is my first car. Everything i know about them is from working on this car. Im just tryna learn 👍. I was hoping i had aftermarket aluminum heads because my motor was painted out of the car, and has several upgrades that would make a set of aftermarket aluminum heads the next step. I need to figure out what im working with, because im on a shoestring budget, and would like to focus my money elsewhere in the restoration.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Most aftermarket aluminum heads have the manufacturer and/or model cast into them.
Personally, I would suggest not wasting your money on aluminum heads when you don't know anything else about the engine (i.e.- if you end up with a bigger combustion chamber, it will hurt performance).
Focus on the cheap upgrades like optimizing the fuel, air, and spark delivery, and exhaust. Get it running right, first.
Then, the biggest kick in the pants will be rear gears. See what you have back there. Most of these cars came with 2.41 rear gears, and those alone will kill all but the strongest engine's performance.
Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users

78_Monte970

Apprentice
Jun 2, 2019
Colorado
Most aftermarket aluminum heads have the manufacturer and/or model cast into them.
Personally, I would suggest not wasting your money on aluminum heads when you don't know anything else about the engine (i.e.- if you end up with a bigger combustion chamber, it will hurt performance).
Focus on the cheap upgrades like optimizing the fuel, air, and spark delivery, and exhaust. Get it running right, first.
Then, the biggest kick in the pants will be rear gears. See what you have back there. Most of these cars came with 2.41 rear gears, and those alone will kill all but the strongest engine's performance.
Good luck!
Thanks. I already replaced most of the fuel system as a line on top of the tank busted. Ive got a completely new ignition system. Electric fan conversion soon with a champion rad bc my old rad busted. I have to figure out how to tune the edelbrock and install some cats so i can pass emissions and drive legally. Im going to leave the engine as is for awhile so i can get panels realigned, get gauges and such. Maybe gears eventually, but right now i have basically a v8 go kart and im trying to make it more of a car.

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Edelbrock carb, huh? I'll just say this about that: Holleys are easier.
This.
I’m in the process of rebuilding a Holley, it makes sense. The Edelbrock? Not so much, not to mention it runs stupid rich no matter what I’ve done to it.

Reactions: 2 users

78_Monte970

Apprentice
Jun 2, 2019
Colorado
Well the carb was on the car when i got it, and tbh i dont have the budget for a manifold swap and carb (performer intake) i bought a calibration kit from oreilleys to downsize jets and plan to make it run very conservatively just so i can get those 5 year collectors plates. Im sure ill shove a 6.0 in it before i will need to get tested again. Its very hard to tune a car without a tachometer though. Ive been playing it mostly by ear and by how smooth the engine runs.

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
The Edelbrock and Holley 4150 have the same base bolt pattern. It will bolt to your performer intake. Get a good timing light with the rpm function on it if you want to know your rpm’s. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users

78_Monte970

Apprentice
Jun 2, 2019
Colorado
Those are iron heads, judging from the pic.

$100 they are 882 castings
Not quite. Pulling the valve cover revealed they are 3932441 heads and from what ive read they are half decent. Does this valvetrain look beefed up at all? Never seen a set of stock ones so i have no idea what to compare them to. 10mm for reference

Attachments

• BEAC4D00-BB9B-46BE-8437-8D4780BE345D.jpeg
    BEAC4D00-BB9B-46BE-8437-8D4780BE345D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 159
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor