BUILD THREAD 36x48x14 Shop Build Update 2/20/2024, Tire Machine is Finished!

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
IMO not doing it is underkill. I'm looking at using zip (maybe zip r if I'm feeling frisky) sheathing on my upcoming house build and that's the idea, seal it up nice and tight. With that alone, you quickly approach passive house standards.
While I agree, I want more R-value. I have a local company that air sealed my new house (foam, caulk every crack and air doored it) and used high density cellulose in the walls, I have an R23-26 in the walls, with R-58 in the ceilings. The house has 2 air changes and hour, almost too tight, with the air door test. The bathrooms and range hood vents keep it from being too tight. And I had a 3500 sq ft home done for less that it would cost to spray foam the shop for way less r value but the same air sealing.

Sooooo, I plan on 1.5" foam board between the girts and trusses, foamed, caulked and air sealed, I'll air door it to ensure no air leaks. Then possibly the same high density cellulose, as I am waiting on a qoute in case prices went sky high (possibly R-21 batts). I'll end up with R-25 plus walls and R58-65 ceilings. So I'll have more than double the R value of spray foam for way less the cost.

The air sealing is key, so alot of attention will be spent there.

I only have electric and propane available, and neither are cheap, so the better I can get it insulated, the better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
While I agree, I want more R-value. I have a local company that air sealed my new house (foam, caulk every crack and air doored it) and used high density cellulose in the walls, I have an R23-26 in the walls, with R-58 in the ceilings. The house house 2 airchanges and hour, almost too tight, with the air door test. The bathrooms and range hood vents keep it from being too tight. And I had a 3500 sq ft home done for less that it would cost to spray foam the shop for way less r value but the same air sealing.

Sooooo, I plan on 1.5" foam board between the girts and trusses, foamed, caulked and air sealed, I air door it to ensure no air leaks. Then the same high density cellulose, I am waiting on a qoute in case prices went sky high (possibly R-21 batts). I'll end up with R-30 plus walls and R58-65 ceilings. So I'll have more than double the R value of spray foam for way less the cost.

The air sealing is key, so alot of attention will be spent there.

I only have electric and propane available, and neither are cheap, so the better I can get it insulated, the better.

I agree with the sealing in general, the sealing was my point regardless of what material you use for it. If the house gets too tight you just add one of those air exchange dealies anyway. I'm really not sure what I'll do for the pole barn just yet since they don't get sheathed like a house and foam is so retarded expensive.

Reactions: 1 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I agree with the sealing in general, the sealing was my point regardless of what material you use for it. If the house gets too tight you just add one of those air exchange dealies anyway. I'm really not sure what I'll do for the pole barn just yet since they don't get sheathed like a house and foam is so retarded expensive.
Foam really is soooo expensive! I have my Hilti gun, will buy some hilti foam and have at it with the foam board, Supposed to get some 1.5" foam board next week. Picking up the wire for the slab this weekend. I'm on marketplace everyday to buy what I can at a deal to keep costs down.

I wish i did this sh*t in 2019 before I deployed, but, I had to deploy, lol

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Foam really is soooo expensive! I have my Hilti gun, will buy some hilti foam and have at it with the foam board, Supposed to get some 1.5" foam board next week. Picking up the wire for the slab this weekend. I'm on marketplace everyday to buy what I can at a deal to keep costs down.

I wish i did this sh*t in 2019 before I deployed, buy, I had to deploy, lol

Yeah, but because you deployed you were likely able to stack more cash aside for this build right?

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Yeah, but because you deployed you were likely able to stack more cash aside for this build right?
Hell no, it paid off the house build credit debt! lol, I wish I could have stacked it for this though!

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
There is a local guy to me that sells used 4x8 sheets of 2" foam. They are removed from commercial building roofs I guess. He has some hookup. Usually gets it a tractor trailer load at a time. It is paper faced polyiso foam sheets. I've got half of my garage ceiling done in that. It was $12/sheet :) He sells out the same day he gets it usually.

Reactions: 4 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
There is a local guy to me that sells used 4x8 sheets of 2" foam. They are removed from commercial building roofs I guess. He has some hookup. Usually gets it a tractor trailer load at a time. It is paper faced polyiso foam sheets. I've got half of my garage ceiling done in that. It was $12/sheet :) He sells out the same day he gets it usually.
That's a deal! I'm driving to VA, 1.5hrs, to get some at $18 a sheet to do the the walls and flat ceiling.

Last edited:

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Progress from Friday, I was super excited to get home last night and see how the crew made out! The doors still need to get installed, but the building is up. I have the gutter guy here as I type installing one piece gutters and downspouts.

Sorry for the glare.

20230402_174834.jpg

20230402_174522.jpg

20230402_174632.jpg

20230402_174551.jpg

20230402_174505.jpg

20230402_174431.jpg

20230402_174421.jpg

I picked up concrete wire mesh panels this weekend from a guy close to the base, 5'x10', $10 a panel. I am working on scheduling some deliveries of 57 stone and shale for the "road", then I need another truck or 2 of compactable fill for the interior. Currently shooting for May for the concrete. Give everything time to settle, dry out, and for me to build up the road to hold the weight of concrete trucks.

Attachments

• 20230402_174547.jpg
    20230402_174547.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:
  • Love
  • Winner
Reactions: 11 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor