374 Olds 350 stroker build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I have the block wrapped in a couple of tarps in the back of the truck. My wife has Jan 8th off, hopefully it will go to the machine shop that day.

Reactions: 3 users

High Roller

Greasemonkey
Aug 25, 2009
Cowtown USA, MN
You'll like it. I'm thrilled with my pump gas 374 SBO with 7A steel heads, hyd cam, 9.7:1, 750 Holley. It out does SBC 383's with their Alum heads, and roller cams!

Attachments

• SBO Dyno_0001.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 134
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I will be going with Procomp aluminum heads, roller cam and 363 ci if the bore will allow the 4.065" Mahle piston. If I hit your numbers, will be more than happy.

Reactions: 2 users

High Roller

Greasemonkey
Aug 25, 2009
Cowtown USA, MN
I will be going with Procomp aluminum heads, roller cam and 363 ci if the bore will allow the 4.065" Mahle piston. If I hit your numbers, will be more than happy.
SpeedMaster heads? I hope you had Bernard Mondello go over them, and not just bolting them on out of the box. Why not go bigger bore unless it’s ‘77 or newer block.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Procomp heads? I hope you had Bernardo Mondello go over them, and not just bolting them on out of the box. Why not go bigger bore unless it’s ‘77 or newer block.
What is the theory behind this? Beyond the Mondellos having the golden touch on Oldsmobile?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Not Benard Mondello, Mark Remmel(Cutlassefi). He uses Champion Race heads in Florida. He is doing dyno sessions with his 4.100" bore Olds 350. He doing up a set of 68cc Chamber Procomp heads for it, I get first dibs and will be buying them, save a few dollars. I am also buying a new set of Sanderson headers for him to dyno mine are over 10 years old, probably closer to 15 years old and seen better days. There is no info on them over manifolds, Mark tested Thornton manifolds on this 350, 30 less hp than full length headers. My exhaust is setup for them and they fit like manifolds, they have to gain some hp just from the 3" collectors and weigh half as much as manifolds. I really like the Mahle 1mm ring pack, they have a 1.55" compression height 4.065" piston with 7.9cc dish for 9.7 to 1. With the slightly larger chamber, the KB piston would be in the low 9 to 1 compression. The next sized dish would be over 10 to 1. My block should clean up with the .008" hone. I want a cool running, drive 4 plus hour cruiser. That means a beefed up TH2004R and 3.90 gears in the 8.5" Type O with 275/60R15 tires, so just over 2000 rpm cruising speeds. We only have 91 non ethanol readily available Premium here. This a cruiser, that may see the track, 4 hours away. I don't want a huge cam to work with 10+ to 1. I have had the Scat sbc 2" journal 6" rods and 3.5" stroke 330 crank with 4.390" used 403 custom forged stroker pistons and rings for years. The 403 ran hot with a standard bore. If this was a drive the 30 minutes the track, used to be that far and cruise around town, then it would be the best choice, 424 ci. Everything is far here, including the track since Yorkton shut down. My wife hates my 88, overheating along with it stalling, carb too lean, with her literally running to work and would have killed me if I built the motor that overheated a dozen times or more and ran shitty for her. I will go with Donovan's, it's only a cruiser😁.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
What is the theory behind this? Beyond the Mondellos having the golden touch on Oldsmobile?
The Procomp castings are good and the guides are also usually good. The valve job is not great and all the hardware including Procomp valves are garbage. They measure all over the place for dimensions, springs don't have the claimed tension and even the retainers and keepers are an accident waiting to happen.

• Informative
Reactions: 5 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Oh and that other cool guy on the other forum who attacked me only has a 362 ci Olds 350. I will point out, if he has a shitty remark, ask a guy or girl, if 1" makes a difference😉.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Sounds like this should shape up to be a fun mill.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
I’d buy the complete set. Check the valve seating and measurements. Spring heights too. You don’t need a Mondello for that. And maybe not even a good machine shop. I’d read less, and do more. 90% of the people passing the info on are doing just that, passing it on without knowledge. If you can figure out who the 10% are you’ll get it figured out. Be one of the 10% and pass along good info once you figure it out. Worst case it might be a valve job. Keep posting progress and pictures.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor